Newbie Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Question

Hey just a quick question I got my door panel off and finally got to see what i'm working with so, A) can I just use a piece of 1/4 in luan I have laying around to make my brackets for my 6.5's and B) the connector between the old speaker and the new wire, can I just cut it off and splice the wires together and rap them in electrical tape. If you can help that be awesome considering my door panel is just layin on the ground right now ...thanks guys

Old 06-28-2006, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by finalday7
Hey just a quick question I got my door panel off and finally got to see what i'm working with so, A) can I just use a piece of 1/4 in luan I have laying around to make my brackets for my 6.5's and B) the connector between the old speaker and the new wire, can I just cut it off and splice the wires together and rap them in electrical tape. If you can help that be awesome considering my door panel is just layin on the ground right now ...thanks guys
Are you talking about lexan? If so, yes you can use that, why not? As for the connection, I would buy some adapters that just snap on to the factory plug and then connects to the speaker. That allows for putting the stock speakers back in if desired. But, yes you can just splice the wires. I would solder and use shrink wrap if I was doing it.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:57 PM
actually luan is basically just nice plywood. Will I get any vibrations after doing this.

Old 06-29-2006, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by finalday7
actually luan is basically just nice plywood. Will I get any vibrations after doing this.

I'm sure it will work fine for a 6 1/2" speaker. Add some dampening material like Dynamat or Cascade behind the speaker. The only thing to watch for is the thickness of the luan. If it is too thick you will encounter problems clearing the door panel.

Quick Reply: Newbie Question