6.4" speakers are obstructed by stock grill

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.4" speakers are obstructed by stock grill

I spent some extra bucks for Focal 6.5" components for front doors of my 99 F150. I noticed the stock grill blocks 20-30 percent of the speaker. If I cut the area out to move the speaker inboard in front of open area of grill the magnet will run into the window guide. Only if I add about 1" thick or more spacer would the magnet ride in front of the guide rail but then the speaker pushes up against the stock panel grill. I will run the speakers standard grill also unlike last set so to provide protection and to be sure the cone will always have enough room for extension before hitting the door panel grill, but this push on the stock grill is enough to distort the panel and make it hard to put on so not good at all. Anyone mod to get speaker in better position in front of grill. And let me say up front. Yes my last speakers, 6.5 Infinity's sounded ok and must have been blocked but when you spend the kind of money for these Focal you want it to be all it can. Any help out there on making it work? I thought about cutting the whole grill area out of the door panel and making my own that comes into the passenger cabin an inch more. But now these $450.00 speakers can be stolen in a moment by even a rookie would be thief with a screwdriver. Really need them incognito behind door panels. Thanks in advance.
Robert

Old 04-03-2006, 11:14 AM
You'll need the spacer, as well as some thicker MDF around it to push the door out and away from the speaker. This can be a problem to get the door panel back on sometimes.

Old 04-03-2006, 12:36 PM
I had this problem in my 2000 SCab with my BA ProSeries 6.5's. I did what I think you are saying. I cut some of the door skin and put a bigger 1/2" MDF baffle (w/ a 6.5 cut out) and mounted the speaker to that. I had no problem with the magnet hitting the window nor did the speaker's cone hit the door panel.

Quick Reply: 6.4" speakers are obstructed by stock grill