Max Depth in the doors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max Depth in the doors?

Does anybody know the depth in the doors of an 01 or similar year?? Please tell me if its the depth in the door or the depth of what speaker you installed, or if you measured, whatever, anything will help

Old 10-25-2005, 08:27 AM
Bump, I need to know for 05's as well!!

Someone quick, so I can order these speakers. :P

Old 10-25-2005, 01:34 PM
I know Bartak made an adpater for his RE comps and said his hit the back and he used a 3/16 adpater for the baffle, but the problem is i dont know the depth of those speakers. So if someone has installed 6.5s or larger mids in their doors, it would help if you could tell me what mids you got to fit in your doors and how you mounted them, thanks alot.

Old 10-25-2005, 01:42 PM
Go to www.crutchfield.com and find out yourself.

Old 10-25-2005, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by robisten8
Go to www.crutchfield.com and find out yourself.
I don't see anything about depth in there?

EDIT: Well, I called them. They said that when you search by your make/model, they take into consideration speaker size, depth, magnet size, weight, etc.. so anything listed will fit.

Last edited by SSpiro; 10-25-2005 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:27 PM
You can go pretty deep in the 04-05s.

I just put some pretty beefy alpines in there. There is a lot of room between the speaker and the door grill that you can build it up between the speaker and the door (actually the speaker doesnt screw directly to the door but rather some rubber posts) if the window hits the magnet.

The alpines I got had a riser plate because of the size of the magnet.

You are probably good with whatever you get.

http://iweb.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/...y=90&p_main=10

these have surprising bass handling capabilities. Nice looking magent too.

not that it tells you anything.

Last edited by rutherk1; 10-25-2005 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by rutherk1
You can go pretty deep in the 04-05s.

I just put some pretty beefy alpines in there. There is a lot of room between the speaker and the door grill that you can build it up between the speaker and the door (actually the speaker doesnt screw directly to the door but rather some rubber posts) if the window hits the magnet.

The alpines I got had a riser plate because of the size of the magnet.

You are probably good with whatever you get.

http://iweb.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/...y=90&p_main=10

these have surprising bass handling capabilities. Nice looking magent too.

not that it tells you anything.

I'm kind of starting to lean towards these..

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-INFINI...QQcmdZViewItem

What do you think? Was thinking of using these in the front, and then these for the back..

And then an eD Nine.2 amplifier...

Trending Topics

Old 10-25-2005, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by SSpiro
I'm kind of starting to lean towards these..

What do you think? Was thinking of using these in the front, and then these for the back..

And then an eD Nine.2 amplifier...
That would be a good choice. You may as well go coaxial in all 4 locations. The installation ease is hard to beat. Plus a vehicle sound stage is far from optimum so alot of money gets thrown away. (Unless you are goin SUPER HIGH END with an amp for each channel of course). What helped me, I think the most, was putting dynamat between the speaker and the door mount, as well on the door behind speaker magnet.

I am pretty happy with the Alpines. Any good quality coax (alpine, infinity etc) with a nice dome tweater is going to be pretty darn close to a similiar quality component.

Thats just a preference thing.

Good luck.

Old 10-25-2005, 08:36 PM
So you think components in the front would be a waste?

Old 10-25-2005, 09:16 PM
I was looking at the type X comps , they use a nice vifa tweet and vifa mid, that are popular home and DIY speakers. From what ive read these comps seem to be very nice for the $200 mark, and even better than some that are more exspensive. There is no way that anyone could convince me to put coaxes in my door, but its just up to you. I would rather have a nice comp set up front with a decent amp and a dead door, than 4 coaxes amped all the way around, but its just preference. Any who, looks like top mount depth= 2.5 in for mine.

Old 10-26-2005, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by SSpiro
So you think components in the front would be a waste?
Not at all. The onlything advantageous of components is you can put the tweeter in other locations. Most good Coaxials have a tweeter that swivels.

Old 10-26-2005, 01:41 PM
Also components have a much nicer passive crossover, rather than the built in crossovers on coaxials. There is a reason for the substancial increase in price from a matching coaxial and comp set. And a swiveling tweeter wont do the same thing as mounting the tweeter up high, because some of the frequencies may get drowned out by the mid frequencies and bass frequencies.

Old 10-26-2005, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by GA FOO 88
Also components have a much nicer passive crossover, rather than the built in crossovers on coaxials. There is a reason for the substancial increase in price from a matching coaxial and comp set. And a swiveling tweeter wont do the same thing as mounting the tweeter up high, because some of the frequencies may get drowned out by the mid frequencies and bass frequencies.
Pop open one of those passive crossovers. Its just a capacitor and a small coil of wire. The same thing that is on the coaxial speaker minus the coil. This coil filters out your lower end.

If you are going to get Coaxials you would take more advantage of them if you were to use an active crossover.

Old 10-26-2005, 03:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ga Foo, I had trouble with my surrounds hitting the door panel, which forced me to use a very thin (3/16'ths") baffle.

If the TypeX's are 2.5 inches deep, I dont think your going to have a problem, because I think my RE's are around that depth, and I remember it looking like there was more room to go.

One problem is a window track that runs behind the speakers, its not directley behind where the speaker goes, but its off to the side a little. The magnet on my speaker sits right beside it, I know if the magnet on my RE's was much wider I would have some problems fitting them in there.

Best thing to do would be to pop off a door panel and pull out a speaker, only takes like 5 minutes.

Quick Reply: Max Depth in the doors?