Have $1000 to spend on sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 08:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have $1000 to spend on sound

2004 Lariat Supercab 4 door. (non Audiophile)
Can anyone give me a recomendation on what to do?
Im thinking I want to keep the HU and replace all speakers, add a sub and amp.
Also, Im not doing it myself.
One company want tp go with 4 MTX 5x7's, a 10" sub and a 4 channel amp.
Another wants to go with Kicker sub and Memphis power reference 5x7's and 2 Kenwood amps.
Thanks!

Old 09-25-2005, 09:47 AM
I would go with:

1. Nice set of 6.5" components for the front doors. I would buy a 2-channel amp to run these.
2. Then for the rear speakers i would just buy some coaxials and run them off of the HU for rear-fill.
3. I would have a custom box made for the subs....probably 4 8" subs downfiring under the rear seat with the right amp to power them.

Old 09-25-2005, 01:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Id go with something like BaseSteala said. Comps up front on a 2 channel, coaxials in rear ran of the HU, and a homeade box.

What exactley are you looking for? Something that will pound your insides to mush? Or someting more on the SQ side, and a sub just to complete the full musical spectrum, or something that sounds good and still has some decent bump to it?

Also, do you plan on getting this all from a local store, or internet/ebay? You have much more options going the internet/ebay route IMO. Much better bang for the buck deals.

Old 09-25-2005, 02:56 PM
Get some eclipse speakers for the front and rear, and a pair of JL 8" subs in a custom made box under the bench. Put in a reasonably good CD deck, get two reasonably good amps like MTX's (one for the speakers, one for the subs) and enjoy.

And, don't think that a $400 deck will sound better than a $200 deck. That instance will probably be the case only if you're NOT going with amps to power your speakers and/or subs. If you're going with a pair of amps, then you don't need the high end deck, only higher end amps. The car guy might swear to you that you need the high end deck either way, but good amps usually do a great job of making up for a "bad" deck.

This will come out probably a bit over 1K by the time it's all over with, but I guarantee you will love it because I did something almost identical with mine a couple of years back and enjoy the hell out of it even to this day.

Old 09-25-2005, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Bartak1
Id go with something like BaseSteala said. Comps up front on a 2 channel, coaxials in rear ran of the HU, and a homeade box.

What exactley are you looking for? Something that will pound your insides to mush? Or someting more on the SQ side, and a sub just to complete the full musical spectrum, or something that sounds good and still has some decent bump to it?

Also, do you plan on getting this all from a local store, or internet/ebay? You have much more options going the internet/ebay route IMO. Much better bang for the buck deals.
I like loud, but not 16 year old kid loud. I want good SQ and a sub just to enhance SQ. I have an XM radio installed. Im a big ebayer, but Im not going to do the install so I probably will buy from an Audio store/installer.
Do you think Comps (seperate tweeters) are worth the $$?
Thanks

Old 09-25-2005, 05:20 PM
Hmm, getting good stuff from a retail store for under 100 bucks could be tricky.

Id do something like this then....One amp for the front speakers and sub-a good 4 or 3 channel. A 4 channel is probably easier to get and cost less (not a whole lot of 3 channel amps out there)

Good 4 channel amp, say 75 watts per channel-300 to 400ish bucks
Nice components for front-200ish
Subwoofer-150ish
Box-who knows-150ish maybe
EQUALS-900ish bucks

This is probably the lowest youll find good stuff for, at a retail store.

Id say a 75x4 wrms amp would be pretty good. 75 is going to be good for most components, and with the back channels bridged for a sub, youll be lookin at about 300wrms there.

Old 09-25-2005, 05:22 PM
I meant 1000 bucks, and for some reason I was thinking you wanted to stay under that, but now I dont see that. Musta been thining of a different thread. My mistake.

Trending Topics

Old 09-26-2005, 12:02 AM
I think it would benefit you to learn a little on how to install some of the simpler things, like the h/u and replacement speakers and install them yourself. Then pay an installer to install the rest, and order all of your componenets for your system online.

2 x RE RE 10s = $ 132
RE comps = $165
Avionixx 800.4= $200
Pioneer 7700 = $220

That would be about 730 (RE pices included shipping) for all of that shipped and then you could find a used or ebay pre-fab box for like 50, and minus another 50 or so for an amp kit and RCAs and that leaves you about 150 to 170 to get everything installed. I know HIFI BUYS and similar places charge like 60 for amp install and 20 to load/wired subs in a box, and like 40 for head unit installs plus the cost of installation kit. Then that would leave you like 50 bucks for anything i misscalculated, which is propablly a lot.

Old 09-26-2005, 06:36 AM
I can install stuff, Im just so busy installing air conditioners down in Texas (109 degrees today) that I'd like to let a pro do this.
Plus, Im not sure how to match up all the pieces and I dont know what the good brands are anymore!

Someone mentioned 6.5" components. I can fit 6x8's in the doors. Are 6.5" rounds better than 6x8's?
Also, what are "RE's"?

Old 09-26-2005, 12:41 PM
RE is a company that stands for Resonant Engineering, found at www.reaudio.com, and they make great speakers and subs, and now mono amps. Yes 6.5 speakers are better, oval speakers will distort in higher wattage systems, and some company sells the adpaters for 6x8 to 6.5, or you can just make a baffle to fit over the oval. Also for the amp and headunit i reccomended look up the specs on this site www.woofersetc.com. These are all really nice budget componenets, and will propablly be better than what a store will try to sell you for 1000 bucks. I dont think it would hurt to talk to the store and see what they would reccomend, then compare a few different set ups and see which fits you the best.

Old 09-26-2005, 03:35 PM
$1,000 might not be enough

I just went through this and planned to install a $2,000 system
and turned out to spend over $4,000

I got:

Alpine IVA-D901
Alpine NVE-N852A (Navigation system)
Alpine Adapter cables
JL 300/4 (75 watts per channel)
Boston compoment pro 60 (6.5") front
Boston SL80 ( 5x7) rear speakers
Fosgate Amp wire kit (PRO series) good up to 500 watts
digtal battery terminal (+ and -)
digital cap
streetwire RCA cables
dynomates
Infinity basslink X (10" powered sub)

will be install this week and will post pix after I get these install

Old 09-26-2005, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by g-divisionboyz
I just went through this and planned to install a $2,000 system
and turned out to spend over $4,000

I got:

Alpine IVA-D901
Alpine NVE-N852A (Navigation system)
Alpine Adapter cables
JL 300/4 (75 watts per channel)
Boston compoment pro 60 (6.5") front
Boston SL80 ( 5x7) rear speakers
Fosgate Amp wire kit (PRO series) good up to 500 watts
digtal battery terminal (+ and -)
digital cap
streetwire RCA cables
dynomates
Infinity basslink X (10" powered sub)

will be install this week and will post pix after I get these install

Hey i've been following your posts about this set-up and it seems that we have the same taste in car audio components. But please tell me ur not gonna put that weak sub in there! lol im not trying to hate but i know you can do better man!

Brandon

Old 09-26-2005, 06:16 PM
Yep, I know, that happens to me all the time. I have 4 vehicles and I just dont need to have the same super duper system I had when I was 20 in all of them. (Im 40 now!)
Sound like an awesome system! Congrats!

Old 09-27-2005, 10:16 AM
Well, that infinity basslink is just temp since my wife is getting on me about spending all the $$$ on the truck right now.........planned $2 K and spent over $4K already..........
so, I really need some bass and infinity basslink is just a temp option for me until wife chill out for a while and then I will get a custom fiberglass set-up............hee..........hee..........

Old 09-27-2005, 06:03 PM
Ah the wife. I know how that can go (girlfriend, im too young to be thinking about marriage). Well awesome system man and show us pics!

Brandon

Quick Reply: Have $1000 to spend on sound