audio Q

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question audio Q

Hey im running a 92 cherokee right now BUT my fx4 is on order for delivery in May I ordered the 6disc, but not audiophile as I immediatley plan to remove the existing (maybe not the deck?- opinions please) well right now (it really doesnt matter, but id like you to know what im coming from) im running a jvc chameleon deck, 2 alpine s 12"'s kenwood 1000w 2ch in series (subs) alpine 500w to the speaks- (4 alpine 6.5") now obviously im not gonna get 2 12's in the FX4- but, i plan on acquiring the jl stealthbox and an amp to fit... my question is: what are component type speakers going to do for me further than my existing system? Or am i better off just getting 4 5x7's or 6x8's popping them in with a good amp? if you feel components are the way to go, suggestions? comments?

Really 'preciate all the help-

Balog

Old 03-30-2005, 11:47 AM
I have pioneer 5x7's 3-ways in the front- a bit disappionting I'd definately stick with components in the front. The advantage with comps as opposed is better tweeter placement wich improves the sound stage. Also the crossovers that come with these speakers do a much better job at separating the signals to the right speaker element. If sound quality means anything to you dump the factory HU. While it's adequate and looks good in the truck the EQ curves suck and there is limited adjustment. A found that when I ran an amp off the HU the low end of the spectrum was over biased and ended up just booming regardless of the bass adjustment. You might be able to clean it up with an EQ, but I believe you need to start with a good audio source first. Again, sound is subjective and you need to determine the overall goal of your system. It's fun!

Additionaly I would replace the rear doors with aftermarket units. Some guys here dissagree and wouldn't touch em, but I think they help with staging. I wouldn't bother with comps here though.

Old 03-30-2005, 03:29 PM
excellent, just what i wanted to know- yea, i'd be replacing the rear cab doors too...

thanks for the help,

jj

Quick Reply: audio Q