Just put 10 subs under bench, works great!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2000, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Hey dirtslinger,

I was thinking the same thing you were thinking, but it seems like there just isnt enough room under there to put a decent enclosure. So let me share a vision with you, if there is some way to take out the bench in the back and put in 2 buckets instead then you could put in 2 down firing subs. And in the middle of the 2 seats you could build or buy(?)another enclosure and put the 3rd sub in there. Im not handy enough to set something like that up myself. But i think it would look awesome and sound even better. If I inspire anyone to try this send me some pics when it is all done. Thanks.

NH Cruiser.

------------------
'97 Black F-150
4.2L V6
5 speed
4x2
Clear Corners
Pioneer CD player
Eclipse 5x7's with JL subs on the way.
I never realized how much
it would cost me to have
an impressive signature.

Old 08-17-2000, 08:28 PM
Hey if you guys want a task or something to think about heres one. I was talking to my friend about how to fit subs in the rear, and we got into talking about making a box to hold 3 subs firing down, and then mounting the rear seat on top of the box. Seems like a good idea but timeconsuming and lot of planning.

------------------
black 97' x-cab 4x4, 5 speed 4.6, black westin nerf bars, pilot ground searchers, borla SS split rear exhaust, K&N genII, bosch +4 plugs, superchip, flexalite electric fan, v-tech oval side window covers, IAS shocks

premier 720, pioneer 6cd changer, 12 premier sub, premier componets, 2 soso amps

still to come: new spark plug wires, new rims and tires.

Old 08-17-2000, 09:55 PM
Jason,

Thanks for the ego boost. If I would have paid someone to build the boxes, even if they sounded as good as these, I would not be nearly as proud of what I have. I think they sound even better just because they came from my own two hands.

I am not sure, but isn't the rear seat of a '97 higher off the floor then a '98? Seems to me that the brackets are taller. I have not looked at a '97 personally, but have seen photos. I could be wrong.

But, If it is in fact taller, then I think it is possible to fit 3 under there. Measure the height from the center of the hump to the bottom of the steel plate that the seat is bolted to. Before I lifted mine, there was a clearance of about 5 3/4 inches. What you need to take into account when putting subs under the seat is the thickness of the box material, the 2" clearance to the floor, and the mounted depth of the sub. In my case it all equalled approx. 9". The 3" lift gave me almost 11" at the lowest point of the floor and almost 9" at the hump.

If your's is taller, let me know and I'll crunch some numbers to see if it is possible without raising the seat. Or, maybe raising the seat an inch or so, rather then 3". It doesn't sound like much, but 3" of lift definately makes a huge difference in head room.

Now you have got me thinking up ways to make 3 subs fit. Geez, there goes another weekend. hahaha

------------------
'98 F-150 Full Sized SuperCab,
Pioneer Premier KEH-P580,
10" Rockford Fosgate RFZ1810 Punch woofers,
JBL LC-A580 Loud & Clear 200w amp,
3" Bench Seat Lift,
Custom Made Woofer boxes (I made them myself)

[This message has been edited by LoveMyEffie (edited 08-17-2000).]

Old 08-17-2000, 10:06 PM
Hey Dirtslinger,

Nifty idea with the bucket seats. BTW, love what you have done to your truck. Looks awesome.

I read your post and got to thinking about the bucket seats. The problem I see with that is lack of space. Especially if you have a 3 door cab. Getting to the other seat may be a challenge. Also, you should consider leg room. Since I am so tall, I have to put the front seat all the way back. So it wouldn't work for me.

But, hey, if someone can figure out a way to do it, that would be awesome. Could probably be done in a Screw, lots more room to work with.

That's my 2 cents. Which my wife says is over valued. LOL

------------------
3" Bench Seat Lift,

Old 08-17-2000, 10:29 PM
Captain,

I have read posts in the past where people have done that. They did away with the brackets all together. Bolting the box to the floor, then the seat to the box.

My concern then would be safety. The steel brackets would help hold the seat in place in case of an accident. But, to each his own.

On the flip side, I think the two end brackets could stay, and then somehow incorporate a steel brace for the center, right in the sub box. Making the bracket part of the box itself. It would not only hold the seat (and any weight on it) but would also tie the box to the truck so it doesn't move around in an accident.

If there was a way to do that, then designing the rest of the box wouldn't be too difficult.

Keep the inventive juices flowing, everybody's ideas are terrific.

This board is awesome. Without it, and all of you posting your ideas and mods, I probably wouldn't have even tried to put subs under the bench and I would still be bitching about the factory sound system.

Thank you all!!

"Where there's a Ford, there's a way. As long as you can afFORD to pay"

------------------
3" Bench Seat Lift,

Quick Reply: Just put 10 subs under bench, works great!