Help on a '98 Ext Cab

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help on a '98 Ext Cab

My truck's sound setup is completely stock and I'm looking to upgrade a little bit to get better quality. I was looking at a set of Alpine 5x7/6x8's but other than that I'm kind of lost. I would like to know, besides the Alpines, what else I need to power them and to get the best out of them, like an amp or something? I think I need a new head unit so I was going to go with the Alpine CDA-9827 because it has MP3 CD playback.

Okay so can someone please tell me what else I need to go along with my 5x7/6x8's and my Alpine Head Unit? Thanks in advance.

PS: I want to make sure, the '98 Ext Cab has four speakers correct? One on each door panel? (front and rear doors)

Old 12-07-2004, 04:08 PM
Yes it should have 4 speakers, look at the rms wattage and find an amp that will put you close to it. I had a sony 4x60 watt amp running my pioneers..

Old 12-07-2004, 04:49 PM
Ok, pretend you have installed your new speakers only...

Sound is much better,

Then you add a new alpine, sound is even better yet,

then you add a new amp too, then it ROCKS!!!

-See, it's easy!

Old 12-11-2004, 02:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Just like with anything else, buy the best you can afford, and maybe a bit more. A decent four channel amp, a head unit, and four speakers. The left rear speaker is a total PITA on a 98 ext cab, so you could get that done somewhere if you want. My advice is to buy adapters and install 6.5 inch speakers, I was never happy with any 5x7 which is what the 98's came with. Components would be even better, especially for the front. This is usually a 6.5 midrange in the door, and a tweeter mounted somewhere in the upper dash or door panel. The sound difference to me was incredible. Getting the tweeter out of the deep set 98 speaker mounts made all the difference in the world. I have the door speaker amp under the passengers side back seat, and my sub amp in the pass. rear floor board. With the single ten sub box it turns the truck into essentially a three seater, but hardly anyone rides back there anyway.,,,,98

Most door speaker amps have a pass through so you can add on a subwoofer easily later on. You won't have to run another RCA, but just connect it to the existing amp.Good luck!!:santa:

Old 12-28-2004, 08:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What does PITA mean? If it has anything to do with describing how FORD installed the left rear speaker, I believe I understand. I just upgraded 3 of the stock speakers to Polk DB570 and then I went to install the infamous "left rear"... Needless to say I spent about 30 minutes on the internet searching for clues and about 20 minutes trying to get to the speaker. I decided to call it a night and do some more research. What price should I look for to just install that one speaker? Thanks.

Old 12-28-2004, 08:48 PM
PITA= pain in the aaa, lol. Not sure on the price, you'd have to shop around. Pulling the fold down seat is involved, and probably the upright backrest too, depending on how limber your hands are.,,,,98

Old 12-28-2004, 08:53 PM
Thanks. Yeah, I just told my wife that I may end up pulling the whole back seat. Looks like I have my work cut out for me tomorrow.

Old 12-28-2004, 08:58 PM
A lot of posts on here say that the rear speakers are a waste of money anyway. They say that a good amped front setup will do the trick for an SCab. Me, I had an extra set of components so I threw them in the back doors. However, I do fade in favor of the fronts.

Old 12-28-2004, 09:01 PM
Well, the rear speakers fill in nicely between the fronts and subwoofer. I notice it alot when they're not working.,,,,98

Old 12-29-2004, 09:32 AM
Having rear speakers that are at any volume level above barely audible actually degrades the soundstage ang imaging. It is an absolute waste of money to spend any money on rear speakers, as far as those aspects. If you just want some sound coming from behind you, then get the best speakers you can afford, but it's still a waste, even if people who have these set-ups don't want to admit it. Stock speakers or very small 2-ways are recommended for those who think that "rear fill" is a good thing. There are competition cars that have some type of rear speaker fill, but they are in combination with very strategically located and tuned front stage speakers. And, they almost never have any high frequency capabilities, such as tweeters. Having a quality rear speaker at a volume level anywhere near that of the fronts is like going to a concert and standing backwards. But, we have grown so used to the fact that there are speakers all over the interior of vehicles, that we have come to accept it as a good thing, when it's not. But, having said all that, everyone should do what they like. That's what it's all about.

Old 12-29-2004, 10:37 AM
I believe the rumor was started by someone too cheap to buy two amps. IE:ran two channels to the front, and two channels bridged to a sub. I speak from personal experience, mine sounds like CRAP with only fronts and a sub. That was the reason I powered up the rears and bought another amp for the sub. Imaging? I could really care less. My cab is filled with wonderful mids and highs, and low thumping bass, with the rears just loud enough to bridge the gap. I couldn't be happier, unless maybe I had components for the rear. Sorry these are only my opinions. Everyone else can do what they feel like doing, which is what I did. Soundstage and imaging is for your living room, which is why the 5.1 receiver is sitting under the TV Sorry I didn't get the latest 6.1, but my ears aren't as sophisticated as some peoples I guess, lol.,,,,98,,,,98

Last edited by 98SCREAMER; 12-29-2004 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:20 PM
Screamer -

While I'm the one who raised the issue of wsome saying that the rear speakers are worthless, I tend to agree with you. My setup sounds good to me and that's what matters.

I'm kinda sorry that I mentioned it!

Old 12-29-2004, 09:33 PM
98 - I installed the left rear speaker (PITA). It wasn't that bad. But it did take me about the same time it did for the other 3 to install.

Old 12-29-2004, 09:42 PM
Hey no big deal, I know mine sounds better with them too. Nothing like a decent stereo to drown out road noise, and to make long distance drives feel shorter.,,,,98

Old 12-29-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by 98SCREAMER
I believe the rumor was started by someone too cheap to buy two amps. IE:ran two channels to the front, and two channels bridged to a sub. I speak from personal experience, mine sounds like CRAP with only fronts and a sub. That was the reason I powered up the rears and bought another amp for the sub. Imaging? I could really care less. My cab is filled with wonderful mids and highs, and low thumping bass, with the rears just loud enough to bridge the gap. I couldn't be happier, unless maybe I had components for the rear. Sorry these are only my opinions. Everyone else can do what they feel like doing, which is what I did. Soundstage and imaging is for your living room, which is why the 5.1 receiver is sitting under the TV Sorry I didn't get the latest 6.1, but my ears aren't as sophisticated as some peoples I guess, lol.,,,,98,,,,98

I don't want to argue about this, but what I said is not a rumor. Do some research and you will see. But I did say that people should do what makes them happy, so there shouldn't be a problem. If you don't have the experience or "sophistication", as you say, to appreciate this aspect of sound quality, I certainly do NOT care, let there be no mistake. I just try to share with the inexperienced some good information that I have gained in over 30 years of audio enjoyment. Whether they want to take any interest in it is totally up to them. And, if you think that soundstage and imaging have no place in car audio, you are so off base it's pathetic. But, again I say, do what you want.

Quick Reply: Help on a '98 Ext Cab