need opinions, 97 ext cab

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 04:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
need opinions, 97 ext cab

heres the deal, my friend has a system lined up for me but im not sure of the box/sub combo. it sounds like hes found a Phoenix Gold octane-r 10" subs ( http://www.phoenixgold.com/2004/octane-rspeakers.html ). powered by a mtx amp i cant find online anywhere, he said it was a 450watt class d mono amp. and i have NO clue what hes thinking of for a sub box or amp kit.

now my problem with this is it seems hes slacking off, hes already told me that this sub wont hit as hard as i think it will. so i want a sub within a reasonable price, im thinking ~$150, thatll hit hard and is a good quality sub. and possibly a single sub box thatll fit under my seat, preferrably after lifting it the 2" so that itll be easier to fit the better single 10" sub in it. this way ill be able to use 8" of space under my seat instead of the stock 6"

can anyone help me out?

Old 11-24-2004, 02:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. how hard do u want ur sub to hit? to flex the roof or what?

honeslty, those tuck under boxes can give u a ride, but if u want that 'mile away' sound, ur thinking a little too much. 200 watts was ok, but 400 watts is plenty now.
idk if the octane R is gonna fit under the seat with well enuff room to pull out the massive bass. u could buy the best sub in the world, but if u dont give it room to breathe, then no sense

2. seat space. i know ur thinking that putting them under the seat means the most space to sit, but lifting the seat up means less headroom. i fabbed a 2 in lift, and im 6 ft and i hated the headroom, it was like being in a coupe car with 3 ppl in the back, impossible to move and what not.

3. amp type. assuming ur getting the 4ohm octane R, then the amp ur friend is getting u is prolly a thunder 6500D. pretty decent of an amp!

if u want a new sub to work with, u should post what u want ur sub to sound like. r u looking for sound quality (SQ) that is, the sound is defined, but the vibration is minimum as is the volume of air movement, or sound pressure (SPL) its a lot of volume and noise, the sub will push against ur back and flex ur roof. percentages are fine

in terms of greatness, cannot go wrong with infinity kappa perfect for sq subs, IMO are the best SQ subs around, and the digital design 9500 series sub, IMO are one of the highest rated bang for ur buck SPL sub.

for example, u want 60/40 in favor of sound quality. good luck.

Last edited by inque; 11-24-2004 at 02:36 AM.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i was goin for mainly sound quality. i figure if my stock speakers can vibrate my rearview mirror i assume almost any sub will be able to vibrate all of my mirrors.

so basically i want it to still hit relatively hard but sound good still.

talked to a pro in cali, he said my setup should sound good, and should hit pretty hard.

Quick Reply: need opinions, 97 ext cab