Dedicating mid-bass

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dedicating mid-bass

I am trying to plan out the next steps on my system and have a question about dedicating some mid bass. Now i'm already running a set of 6.5" comps in kicks with the image enhancement pillar tweets/attentuator. If i wanted to run some 8's in the oem door location, would I want to run it say 2 ohm mono bridged or would i be better off running it in 4 ohm stereo to keep my stage in line? Then my second q is i'll be running 350 RMS a side on the Comps/pillar tweets and 1500 watts on 2 10" subs. How much power would be ideal to throw at 8's in the doors to keep up with the rest of the system? I realize it will depend on the speakers but want a base line to start looking from. I should also mention that this setup is very flat on a RTA as it is without the dedicated mid-bass. It's just this addiction, i mean hobby

My imaging is getting amazing with the time correction finaly getting ironed out and don't want to blow it with bad planning.

Old 05-19-2004, 09:52 AM
Hey Steve, I wanted to point you to this site. Some of the top people in the country hang out there. They can answer your question. If you want to know anything about car sound ask it there. I was able to do my own install from help on this site. I also hang out there daily. A lot of great information. Forget this if you already know about it.

http://forum.soundillusions.net/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Old 05-19-2004, 12:14 PM
Steve,

With the 6.5's in the kicks if your not suffering from a lack of midbass I wouldn't change anything. As far as running midbass in your doors I suggest nothing less than stereo because midbass is recorded stereo. Listen to a little of Rush's song Tom Sawyer if you want to see just how much. You will notice the toms move left to right constantly and if they are in a mono configuration it is going to sound goofy to say the least. As far as adding them to the doors that isn't the best place in the world for them but through phasing and time correction you can pretty much overcome the problems inherent in mounting speakers in that location. The best place to put midbass would be in the floorboard firing up but unless you want to hack away metal on that pretty 04 I would stay away from that idea. If I were you my next step would be to build some panels to close off the space under the dash. Many people use cardboard or hardboard for the panels and then cover them with carpet on the exposed side and a layer of dynamat on the other. You would be surprised at how it can help absorb the soundwaves that would normally reflect off the hard plastics under there.

If you decide to go with 8" in the doors I would give them about 100-200 watts RMS each (depending on the speaker of course).

Old 05-20-2004, 04:46 PM
From personal experience with the Focal Polyglass 165Vs I found that the midbass was somewhat lacking from the two way set while being in the kicks. IMO 3 way sets are the way to go. The outcome will far out weigh the problems/challanges you have to overcome IMO.

Pending on how you are going to power/wire the midbass will determine what impedance you will need them to be. I am guessing the easiest way would just be to add another amp to power the midbass.

As for power I would say it depends on what you have going to the fronts and the type of 'enclosure' they are in. I am a big fan of headroom so I would shoot as high as possible (with in reason of course). I'd look right around 150-300 watts, but as Chris sais it depends on the speaker too.

Man I need to get on an RTA bad! (an O-scope would be nice too) I know I have some terrible peaks right now, but until I get an EQ there isn't a whole lot I can do about it. The stock CD player isn't cuttig it with it's "EQ."

Old 05-20-2004, 06:19 PM
Haz,

Come on over to Atlanta and you can use my AudioControl RTA. One thing you said was that without an EQ there isn't much you can do. Have we forgotten about notch filters? I know that NF's would take alot of building and plotting time and not as good as an EQ, but it is an option. You really don't need a scope so much. They are nice for setting gain structure but that is about the extent when it comes to tuning.

Old 05-20-2004, 09:02 PM
I actually want to head towards Atlanta if I get a chance this summer; its been years since I was last there.

An EQ is high on my list along with a sub and another amp, but I just need to sell my w7s first. I think I may put them on ebay soon. I'll probably just get an AudioControl EQ off of ebay since they are fairly cheap on there, unless I can get one for a helluva price locally.

I'd like to get a hold of an Oscope just so I can see where the stock HU is clipping and get everything set. Zapcos have the clip light, but I am not sure how accurate it is.

I just stuck the truck in the shop and am going to hopefuly work on my amp rack once I get it back...

Old 05-20-2004, 10:34 PM
The clip light on those is more of an over voltage light than anything else. They sense the AC voltage and once it exceeds the level it will flash. In short it is good to make sure your gain struture on the amp is good but it does nothing for telling you if the signal going into the amp is clipped or not. Anyway, let me know when your going to head to Atlanta and you can drop by the shop for a tweak and tune session. Let me know what EQ your wanting as well. I may be able to get you an even better deal on it.

Old 05-22-2004, 06:54 AM
I never did put much faith in the clip light... I just with I had the money/ equipment to do it right. I am 'in' very good with my local shop, but they don't have an RTA on hand or anything like that . So do you work at the local shop or own it or are 'in' very good with them? I'd really like to meet up sooner or later because I think I could learn quite a bit from hangin around from you for a few days. Anyone up for a decent sized meet in ATL?

If I do decide to head over to Flordia for a few days I may try to get a room up in Atlanta and head your way. I am doing absolutely nothign this summer other thang going on vactation for the first time in 4-5 years and I am all ready bored. I'll supply the beer (if I don't drink it along the way) if you supply the tweek session. Its all ready a 12 pack night/morning here. If I do head that way I'll definately let you know. I really hope to make it to at least FL and then over to TX this summer. I know I will head over to TX this summer and maybe meet up with a few peepl over there...

Old 05-22-2004, 09:06 AM
Your too much Chris! Ol cg's gonna have fun with this one

Old 05-23-2004, 11:24 AM
Haz,

Well I am opening my shop now. Worked in several for years and have had the RTA for quite some time. I don't have the SPL card installed in it but that isn't what I use it for anyway. Not much of an SPL guy anyway.

It would be cool if you could get over here to Atlanta. You can stay however long you want, that would be up to you. I am always open to helping out anyone with tweaking their system. Beer sounds good. You know we sell it here in our area to so if you drink it all up before you get here we can buy more Although you may want to wait until after I tweak your system before you go feeding me a bunch of beer. I get drunk I get to be a little on the deaf side. That and the SPL monster comes out with test tones and wanting to see just what max excursion looks like. Ahhh, gotta love the smell of burning insulator paint.

As for your local shop. I am glad that your in good with them but I don't understand why they don't have an RTA. I guess that is alot of the problem with many of the shops today. The focus has gotten so far away from SQ and more toward SPL. My best guess is that many shops find it hard to justify having an RTA on hand.

A group meet would be cool. Talk to some of the others on the board that are from Louisianna. I have noticed there are several of you guys on here. The shop is going to be closed on Sundays but I could open it up to get us an extra day to tinker. I have been thinking about offering some 1-day classes for the locals interested in DIY custom projects. I would probably hold them one day per month (depending on the interest).

Anytime your ready to head this way just let me know.

Footnote: I have never blown up a speaker sober unless intentional. However, I have destroyed large amounts whilst acting as the King of Beers.

Last edited by cgorris; 05-23-2004 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:52 AM
With the 6.5's in the kicks if your not suffering from a lack of midbass I wouldn't change anything.
I've been tweakin away on this system and have come to the conclusion there not gonna hang in the 125hz down with the music I listen to at the levels i'm listening to it. They sound incredibly clean with rock and other music like that but this electronic stuff gets them moving too much. Re-tuned the box friday back up to 38 hz and I'm liking that part of it better. It's funny the results you get when you do what the manufacturers say. Got rid of most if not all the low frequency flutter but I also noticed the subs not covering the 50-70 hz range all that well. With that said, and my other plans with the sub arrangement going on here, I'm thinking of doing something with 1 really nice 12 or 15 and maybee stretch out and run 8's or 10's in the rear doors.

I burned a bunch of MP3's a week ago and was trying them out while tweaking going down the road last night. Apparently one of the files is not good cause I went around a corner, and thought I ran some one over when the speakers made the worse noise you've ever heard. It was so loud and powerful it shook the truck like you went over a bump. I seriously had to pull over and look. Then when I took off it did it again. Changed to the next song and never heard it again. At that point, I thought my CDT's were toast. All seemed fine when I shut her down but that couldn't have been good. Does anyone else have this happen when playing mp3's?

So do you work at the local shop or own it or are 'in' very good with them?
haz, did you really not know cg was opening up a shop? I figured you had to have been waisted.

Ahhh, gotta love the smell of burning insulator paint.
That sounds like fun. Wish I could be there.

Chris, it sounds like you will be a valuable resource to the folks that are lucky enough to run across you and your shop. Wish you were closer!

Old 05-24-2004, 10:06 AM
Thanks Steve. I just want to provide customers with something they haven't experienced in a long time. SERVICE! I have gone to a few shops and acted like a customer and most didn't even ask me to see my vehicle. Anyway enough of that.

If your going to go with some 8" you could fit the Kickers in the front door without much trouble. If you don't mind cutting the floor a bit or losing a couple inches of floorboard space then the best place to put them would be in the floorboard firing up at the windshield (they stage great like that). Or you could do a couple 10" Kodas in the rear doors.

Well guys I gotta run. Putting down a hardwood floor at the mother's house.

Oh and Steve. I will get you a couple links for the T-views later on tonight and send them to your email addy.

Old 05-24-2004, 10:13 AM
The guy at my local shop doesn't even bother being there half the time. Too busy playing golf. Just leaves the shop with a bunch of kids that know nothing. They don't even know the prices, pitiful.

Sounds good on the links.

Have fun with that hardwood floor

Old 05-24-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Sticker Steve
I burned a bunch of MP3's a week ago and was trying them out while tweaking going down the road last night. Apparently one of the files is not good cause I went around a corner, and thought I ran some one over when the speakers made the worse noise you've ever heard. It was so loud and powerful it shook the truck like you went over a bump. I seriously had to pull over and look. Then when I took off it did it again. Changed to the next song and never heard it again. At that point, I thought my CDT's were toast. All seemed fine when I shut her down but that couldn't have been good. Does anyone else have this happen when playing mp3's?
I've noticed on some mp3s that i've aquired that at some point during the song there is almost like a high pitched shrill that goes on for a couple seconds. I think this is some sort of security measure that manufacturer's of cds are using so people won't rip cds. It could also be something that the person ripping the cd has done that's causing that horrible sound. I do believe that i have come across that noise you are referring to before. Best bet is to just delete the file and try to get another one.

Mike

Old 06-05-2004, 07:38 AM
http://www.soundillusions.net (already mentioned)
http://www.carsound.com

Those are, IMO, hands down the two very best audio forums on the web. If the guys on those forums cant answer it, its cause it has no answer.

Quick Reply: Dedicating mid-bass