Fitting a 12" without sacrificing rear headroom?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 07:31 PM
jzr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fitting a 12" without sacrificing rear headroom?

Can it be done, anyone have pics of such a box? Maybe some sort of bandpass thing with a shallow rectangular port?

I'm getting ready to get started on my project, and I have to choose what subs to use. I have a 12" Eclipse, and a pair of JL 8W6's. It's a '99 with the extended cab - maybe I could put the 12 under the "60" seat, and one of the 8's under the "40" seat?

I still want to be able to take coworkers to lunch in the back - will the 4" seat lift kits ruin that possibility?

Other ideas? I needz the bass!

Old 01-12-2004, 02:32 PM
jzr
So I got an idea-
Most of my friends are tall, so instead of completely sacrificing the rear seat area with a 4" lift, I'll just sacrifice the far left seat. I'll cut the underside of the seat just to the left of the middle brace, so the center and right seats are still supported normally. Then I'll build a box (covered with matching carpet) to forward-fire the 12" right at the back of the driver's seat. With the cushion put back on top of the box, the seat might actually still be useable for midgets. That way I still have 5 useable seats, can build a box the size I want (~2 ft^3 ported), and get to have it firing right at my back.

Thoughts? Anybody done something like this already (and have pics)?

Thanks!

Last edited by jzr; 01-12-2004 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:20 PM
Sounds like a plan...just be sure to keep safety in mind if you decide to put the seat cushion on top of the box. I would recommend reinforcing the box and using heavy duty hardware to bolt it down. In the end, your still going to have a wood box as the seat bracket...

Old 01-14-2004, 01:27 AM
You could make a down firing box on the left side and cover the top of the box with1/4' foam and the cover off the custion you removed bolt it to the floor and still have a near stock apearance.

Old 01-27-2004, 04:47 PM
Anything you can do to increase your midget-carrying capacity is a good idea in my book. Read the post I just mae about a True Flow-Through Center Console for another idea.

KP

Quick Reply: Fitting a 12" without sacrificing rear headroom?