Teach a newbie about component speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Teach a newbie about component speakers

Hey guys,
I'm getting a truck pretty soon and I'm going to have lots of questions about the system install. After reading a lot of posts here I've decided that I need componet speakers in the front doors (99 SC XLT). I dont get how/where to mount the tweets. I assume the driver goes in the stock speaker position but I see from some of your pics that the tweets can be mounted pretty much anywhere, although I've gatherd that near the drivers is best. So how do you mount it if there isn't a spot already for it? do you have to mess up the upholstry on the door?

Also, I see that components have a little crossover. Where does that go? In the door or by the amp?

Sorry bout the simple questions... I'm still learning.

-Marshall

Old 09-03-2003, 11:15 PM
First off, most tweets use 3M tape to stick whereever you want to stick them where they have the audio field that you want.

Second, it does not really matter where you put the crossovers, I would put them somewhere that would be fairly easy to access (not inside the door) in case you have to do some modification to it after you listen to the system for a while.

-edited for siggy.

Old 09-04-2003, 03:29 AM
Tweeter placement is dependent upon the speakers design. Component speakers are designed for either on-axis or off-axis response. On-axis speakers are designed to place the tweeter directly toward you & off-axis is designed to go in the stock location (i.e. door).

If you get a set of on-axis speakers, you should place the tweeter where it sounds best to you.

Old 09-04-2003, 08:21 AM
Try the tweets on the windshield pillars, near the bottom just above the curve, and facing the windshield. This seems to be the sweet spot on the F150s. Like the other guys have said, try them in a few different locations before you permanently install them, just to make sure they sound good to you.

I mounted my crossovers above (and kinda forward of) the kick panels on each side. You do want to keep the crossovers relatively close to the speakers.

Good luck and welcome to F150 Online!

Old 09-04-2003, 11:54 AM
I believe you'll want to face your tweeters parallel to the curve of the windshield if you place them in the a-pillars rather than directly toward the windshield. At least this is what I have read. I haven't tested this method myself though.

A simple installation of component speakers would be to simply buy some Q-Form kickpanels from Q-Logic. These will provide kickpanel installation of an up to 5.25" woofer (I know 6.5" won't fit) and also a tweeter. This will also provide you with much better imaging than the door installation. With the components in the door you'll be able to clearly localize the position of the left and right speakers... with the kickpanel install it will help equal the path length difference and not be as noticeable left and right channel separation.

Old 09-05-2003, 12:15 AM
^^^ just to add to TEK's post...

The kick panels are great for imaging...with speakers designed for on-axis response. The only downfall to kick panels is you lose your E-brake, unless you bend it.

Old 09-05-2003, 12:44 AM
Wow, thanks for the responses guys!

Thanks for making a new guy feel welcome!

On with more components questions

So assuming I find a good spot for the tweets then I need to put a little hole in the upolstry and run the wire into that hole and to wherever the crossover is right? So I assume this is the reason to find the right spot first, so as not to put unnecessar holes in the upolstry.

So components are two speakers on each side. How does this effect the resistance? I am probably going to use an old RF 360a2 to power them. It does 90 at 4ohms but since there are two speakers in each door are they both 4ohms so the amp will instead push 180 per side (assuming they're hookud up in parallel)? If so, is that too much for components in general? Or are they 2ohms meant to be run in series to produce a 4ohm load on each side?

So many questions so little time

Thanks again guys,
-Marshall

ps. I CANT WAIT TO GET MY TRUCK!!!!

Trending Topics

Old 09-05-2003, 02:38 PM
Both of your speakers (the woofer and the tweeter) will be hooked to the crossover. Then you have a single + and - speaker wire from the crossover to the amp. The component SYSTEM will be a 4 ohm load to each channel of a 2 channel amp. (The left channel crossover hooked to left channel of amp; tweeter and woofer hooked to crossover... the right channel crossover hooked to right channel of amp; tweeter and woofer hooked to crossover)SO... 4 ohms per channel on your 2 channel amp.

Old 09-05-2003, 02:42 PM
You can use kickpanels and still have off-axis response. When building your kickpanels you should test the speaker angles for proper sound before finalizing the installation. You don't have to have the speakers pointed directly at the listener... you can have them cross in front of the listener or whever (practically) to achieve the desired sound imaging.

Some people have also simply put a spacer on their brake pedal to move it more to the right and still have it operational.
Kickpanels are easily installed in cars (where the e-brake is between the seats)... plus in a truck the listener is so much higher than the kickpanel it kinda brings the soundstage down too low.

Last edited by TEK2000; 09-05-2003 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:35 PM
Tek, your absolutely right. I was referring to the pre-fab kicks that point the speakers directly at you.

Old 09-06-2003, 12:14 PM
Oh ok.. I got ya.

Old 09-07-2003, 02:43 AM
Last questions about componets

Ok guys, just a couple more questions about componets, then I'll start my amplifier thread. I'm gonna keep you guys busy for a while with all these rookie questions.

Anyway,
I dont think I'll buy prefab kick panels because I am a pretty big guy and I really dont want to lose any leg room. Also, I dont like the idea of having to move the e-brake. I live in an appt and dont have the means to make my own kicks, soooooo I'll probably be using the stock area for the components.

I am mostly focused on SQ so I'd like a nice sounding set of components. I'm thinking about some MB Quarts. What do you guys think? Do them make any that fit in the stock holes? This is something I've been wondering about since the stocks are 5x7s from what I understand.

Like I said I'm using my 360a2 so I'll be pusing about 90Wrms per side. Is that enough for the MBs? Is there something better I should get for that power range? If MBs are the way to go which model do you think is appropriate? I think my upper range of price is $200 but less is better.

For sub, I'm probably going to go with about 300W into a nice 12" like a eD 12k or Shiva (I'll probably have a seperate thread about that when the time comes ). So do you think I'm doing enough in the doors to keep up with this level of bass?

Thanks again guys!
-Marshall

Oh, if its important for component selection... When the volume is up I'm usually listening to Hard Rock/Metal or Techno/Electronic. I also listen to a LOT of classic rock.

Last edited by elhombre; 09-07-2003 at 03:41 AM.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:51 AM
elhombre, First of all, it's up to you to place an importance on audio from your perspective and build accordingly. Some of us place greater importance on audio than others. That is obvious, but is worth mentioning, because when you solicit recommendations, you will be told about what those particular people like from their experiences, which may be limited, or biased in some way. It is very common for people to buy what someone else wants them to than to buy what they really want, especially if they are inexperienced. My advice is to listen, listen, listen, and buy what pleases you. It is your system, after all. MBQuart is a great brand, but many people say certain models are harsh in the high frequencies. ED is certainly highly regarded, but again, if you ask enough people, you'll find someone who doesn't like them. My thoughts are to get what fits all your needs and budget constraints, install properly(poor installation can make great gear sound like crap), and enjoy. And one final thought: When you decide what to buy, have realistic expectations of the equipment. In most cases you get what you pay for. It's like if you buy a Kia, it will never be a Ferrari, no matter how you try to use it. Sounds like with the brands you've mentioned, you are headed in the right direction.

Last edited by 97f250; 09-07-2003 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:56 AM
elhombre, First of all, it's up to you to place an importance on audio from your perspective and build accordingly. Some of us place greater importance on audio than others. That is obvious, but is worth mentioning, because when you solicit recommendations, you will be told about what those particular people like from their experiences, which may be limited, or biased in some way. It is very common for people to buy what someone else wants them to than to buy what they really want, especially if they are inexperienced. My advice is to listen, listen, listen, and buy what pleases you. It is your system, after all. MBQuart is a great brand, but many people say certain models are harsh in the high frequencies. ED is certainly highly regarded, but again, if you ask enough people, you'll find someone who doesn't like them. My thoughts are to get what fits all your needs and budget constraints, install properly(poor installation can make great gear sound like crap), and enjoy. And one final thought: When you decide what to buy, have realistic expectations of the equipment. In most cases you get what you pay for. It's like if you buy a Kia, it will never be a Ferrari, no matter how you try to use it. Sounds like with the brands you've mentioned, you are headed in the right direction.

Old 09-07-2003, 02:56 PM
The component set with 90watts will easily balance the low end with the high end with your 300 watt sub.

For example... look at my system (In my sig)

I've got about 65 watts or so to my Focal 5 3/8" component set up front and 250 watts to my 10" sub. Even with RAP music my sub still doesn't come close to drowning out my front components. With ROCK music its a perfect balance on some recordings while other recordings the high end is a little to strong for the low end in my opinion (but that is more to do with the recording [or probably my sound preference] than an actual problem with my system)

In my setup.. I think I could even go with a little stronger sub and still be okay as far as not overpowering the low end versus the high end.

Good points 97F250... do keep in mind that you will get personal preferences. Though, its always a good idea to listen to advice from various people with various ideas.. ultimately its down to you to decide what will suit YOUR LISTENING PREFERENCE and your devotion to audio quality.

Quick Reply: Teach a newbie about component speakers