SVC vs. DVC, what is the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SVC vs. DVC, what is the difference?

I'm about to buy some Cerwin Vega HED series speakers and I was told that I should get the DVC. But the only shop I can find that carries them only has the SVC. So I'm wondering what is the difference. Can I tell by listening.

I would really appreciate any info.

Thanks

Nick

Old 09-03-2003, 04:48 PM
Sound wise there isn't a difference, but wiring wise there is a major difference. If your amp is 2 ohm stable bridged, which alot of amps aren't. Then you would want the single voice coil model.

Likewise if your amp is 4 ohm stable bridged. Then you will need the dvc 4 ohm model. The dvc 4 ohm subs can be wired down to 2 ohm and bridged back to 4 ohm load.

If you try to puta 2 ohm load on an amp that is 4 ohm stable bridged. The amp will either burn up or go into protect mode. What type of amp do you have?

Old 09-03-2003, 09:46 PM
boss, a single voice coil sub of 2 ohms will handle more power than a dual voice coil sub with two 4 ohm coils wired in parallel to give 2ohms. The end result in ohms is the same, but a 2 ohm voice coil will be heavier wire than a 4 ohm and will thus handle more power before burning out. Two 4 ohm coils wired in parallel does not change this fact. Also, if you are bridging a 2 channel amp, be certain of it's capabilities. You may have heard people say that a bridged amp halves the load of the speaker or speakers, but that is NOT TRUE. If you have a 4 ohm configuration, bridging your amp does not change that to half. It's physically impossible. Bridging makes the amp work in a way that increases voltage and current similar to if the load was half. That's why you need to be sure of what your amp is capable of.

Old 09-03-2003, 10:32 PM
These are very concise answers, but you guys left out one small detail.. a single DVC sub gives you stereo bass, whereas SVC would be mono. That only really matters if you're only planning to install one sub, however. (and the ability to tell the difference by listening to it depends on your musical tastes and your ears.)

Old 09-04-2003, 02:07 AM
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SVC AND DVC IS WIRING CONFIGURATION. You dont get "stereo" sound out of a DVC sub if you power it with a single amp. You will also find if you look at DVC versus SVC sub specs of the same brand/model... they have the SAME exact power ratings in almost ALL cases.

The only reason various sub OHM configurations (whether it be DVC or SVC) are offered is simply to be able to satisfy a large number of applications.

To elaborate on the amplifier choice... be sure to verify that the amp you select will be stable to the ohm load you present it. If an amp is 2 ohm STEREO stable (2 ohms minimum load per channel on a 2 channel amp) that amp will be 4 OHM BRIDGED STABLE. Bridging the amp combines both channels of output to THEORETICALLY double the output power of the amp.

Old 09-04-2003, 04:15 PM
actually I think it was you Invalid_access that told me that I should get DVC subs.

I was planning on getting Cerwin Vega HED 12 series subs. And I found SVC at a place close to my house but DVC at a store 20miles away. I will be using a Fosgate 401s amp to power these subs

Old 09-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Rockford fosgate amps are usually not 2 ohm stable bridged. You will need the dvc model to wire up to that amp @ 4 ohm load bridged. If you wanna get the full 400 watts out of the amp. That amp is not 2 ohm stable bridged. The SVC will only allow you go wire a 2 ohm load or 8 ohm load bridged. Stick with the dvc's.

Trending Topics

Old 09-04-2003, 05:29 PM
INVALID's recommendation is correct if you are using 2 of the HED subs. How many are you going to have.. 2 - 12's?

Old 09-04-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by skoal
These are very concise answers, but you guys left out one small detail.. a single DVC sub gives you stereo bass, whereas SVC would be mono. That only really matters if you're only planning to install one sub, however. (and the ability to tell the difference by listening to it depends on your musical tastes and your ears.)
skoal, you can hook an amp to each voice coil, either a 2 channel in stereo or 2 mono amps, but the benefits are negligible. Most people would agree that the intended benefits of using DVC's is for flexibility of configuration, not stereo bass.

Old 09-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Kinda missing the point. Subs are not suppose to play stereo. Most music isn't recorded stereo in the subs range. It isn't worth it, the lower you go the less directional music is.

Old 09-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Actually, you really want to try to have a matched signal to each voice coil of a DVC sub.

Old 09-05-2003, 04:53 PM
TEK2000,
I will be using two HED 12's. I am going to pick them up tomorrow morning. I purchased my componant speakers at the goodguys
(infiniti KAPPA572.5CF)
http://www.infinitysystems.com/carau...t.aspx?ProdId='KAPPA572.5CF'&Ser=KAP&Cat=MEL

The Cerwin Vegas I'm picking up at a store in Orange County, along with the 401S amp.

I'm having my custom box built at a shop down the street from my house.

And I will be installing everything tomorrow.
I will use my current amp (Rockford Fosgate 200s) to power the infiniti speakers, and the 401s amp to power the subs. There will be many pics taken tomorow. I will post them for you guys Mon or Tues.

THE BOSS

Quick Reply: SVC vs. DVC, what is the difference?