Southeast AL, FL, GA, NC, SC, TN

living in florida.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
living in florida.......

well how about it, tell me your likes and dislikes where is a great place to live in florida? i am moving there in the near future, and was thinking of moving to vero beach, let me know what you floridians think.........thanks alot
also im married with 2 kids 1 year old, want a nice quiet family area...

Old 11-02-2003, 09:44 PM
well if you want a nice quiet area move to titusville. This place is a small/medium size town but has that small/local town feel. I'm only 17, but I enjoy it here. There really ins't anything to do here, but I'm so close to everything.

Old 11-02-2003, 09:48 PM
ocoee is very nice also.few minutes from orlando and all the attractions..etc.......i have lived here since i was born and dont think i would ever move from ocoee.its the counrty town with all the new generation style.26 years and counting ive been here.........good luck

Old 11-03-2003, 08:56 PM
thanks guys i appreciate the feedback, keep it coming though, any one from vero beach???

Old 11-03-2003, 11:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Florida has been my home for my whole life (almost 40 years).

No state income tax is nice; decent vehicle registration rates (my '01 'Screw is about $45/year if I remember correctly).

Vero has some nice areas...

Good fishing on the Indian River, decent seabreeze most of the year.

Go north a little and you come to Sebastian Inlet. Surfing contest there every year; another good fishing spot.

Go south and there is yet more good fishing. (Port St. Lucie)

Vero is a small town within a short driving distance to a bigger town (Melbourne), or a little further to the south and you hit the "Gold Coast"...

Be sure to do your homework on flood insurance for any property you might buy. Cheap house payments can be quickly offset by high flood insurance premiums, especially if you live on the Intercoastal or the ocean itself.

If I had to give you a negative, I'd say if you travel a lot, pick an area closer to a "real" airport.

By the way, I do not live in Vero, but I've been there many times.

Like lifeguardjoe, I grew up in Titusville...

Good luck !!!

Old 11-04-2003, 07:39 AM
What B-Man said.

What do you do for a living? If you're high tech then Titusville south to Sebastian would be the right areas to look in. If industry type isn't a concern then I would vote for anything north of Ft. Pierce/Jupiter Inlet. However, wherever you go, stay away from Orlando at all costs!! That area has become the tourist hell of Florida ever since the rat house moved in.

Melbourne is one of the larger towns along the coast but is still small enough to be nice. I wouldn't opt for beachside living even though it is VERY tempting. B-Man hit it right, insurance rates will eat you alive. Somehow insurnace companies take a very dim view of hurricanes. Go figure.

Russ

Old 11-04-2003, 07:58 AM
thanks guys i appreciate it , yeah we are thinking of vero we had some friends there, i also work for a municipality here in conn. and would hope to get into the same line of work there, i hear there is a company...waste management that pays well and has great benefits, do you guys know of the place, its a waste removal company, i can see myself being a garbage man!!! as long as it pays pretty good and i have good benefits, do you guys anything about the local municipalities, are they hiring at all, how hard is it to get a job there, i have alot of experience.........let me know i appreciate the feedback!

Old 11-07-2003, 09:17 AM
anybody else out there with an opinion of florida?

Old 11-07-2003, 04:09 PM
Here's a few more thoughts on the subject.

Florida

Old 11-07-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Frdlvr
thanks guys i appreciate it , yeah we are thinking of vero we had some friends there, i also work for a municipality here in conn. and would hope to get into the same line of work there, i hear there is a company...waste management that pays well and has great benefits, do you guys know of the place, its a waste removal company, i can see myself being a garbage man!!! as long as it pays pretty good and i have good benefits, do you guys anything about the local municipalities, are they hiring at all, how hard is it to get a job there, i have alot of experience.........let me know i appreciate the feedback!
Titusville definatly has a sewage/waste management system. I believe in the 70's or something like that, we were dumping sewage into the St. Johns. Well we were told to stop and clean up our act, but we didn't. We got slapped with a $2 million, yes $2 million dollar fine. We built a plant and they cut it down to $1 million. Of course because of this our water bill is high. B-Man you know about this?

Old 11-08-2003, 06:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

lgj -

I never heard of Titusville pumping sewage into the St. Johns river. Originally, they were dumping it (after treatment) into the Indian River. If I am not mistaken, the treated waste is still pumped to the Indian River today.

There is a treatment plant right off of Knox McRae, not too far from Hood Ave. You know where that is ? It was operational back when I was a kid (roughly 30 years ago) and I believe it emptied into the Indian River.

I would like to know more however. Off topic, but I was in Titusville this weekend. I think I'm going to buy a piece of property there to build a "retirement" home on. I miss the "small town" atmosphere and the woods, etc. Still seems like a great place to live...

Old 11-09-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by B-Man
lgj -

I never heard of Titusville pumping sewage into the St. Johns river. Originally, they were dumping it (after treatment) into the Indian River. If I am not mistaken, the treated waste is still pumped to the Indian River today.

There is a treatment plant right off of Knox McRae, not too far from Hood Ave. You know where that is ? It was operational back when I was a kid (roughly 30 years ago) and I believe it emptied into the Indian River.

I would like to know more however. Off topic, but I was in Titusville this weekend. I think I'm going to buy a piece of property there to build a "retirement" home on. I miss the "small town" atmosphere and the woods, etc. Still seems like a great place to live...

I'll dig up some dirt on our little dumping problem.

On the "retirement" home idea. Next time you are on Knox, travel west, after you pass publix. There's some nice lots that they're going to be building on I believe. It has a nice little pond and everything. Just an idea. BTW if you're ever in town and see my green f150 around honk(its the only one with reverse color badges, and I have two checkard flags on the rear window on the right with a #2 under them)

Last edited by lifeguardjoe; 11-09-2003 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:07 PM
you're right, it was the indian river.

Old 11-10-2003, 02:46 PM
anybody else out there with some feedback about vero beach?

Old 11-17-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Frdlvr
anybody else out there with some feedback about vero beach?
Vero beach is cool.

I am a Miami man myself. Once you get past the dumbasses and the traffic, this place rocks.

Nearly everything you ever wanted to do is in Miami.

Later

Quick Reply: living in florida.......