*sigh*
muahahahahahaha!

Old 09-30-2003, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RockPick
muahahahahahaha!

Old 10-01-2003, 08:01 AM
Joe, I was right with ya at the beginning of the thread in hating the My-Mami Squids, but the Jets???? Let me guess, you also like the Mets.

Went to Marino's restaraunt years ago down in the grove and it was the worst dive I've ever been in. The memoribilia on the walls made me want to hurl. I see he's now reduced to doing car commercials. What a fitting end.

Old 10-01-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by rksylves
Went to Marino's restaraunt years ago down in the grove and it was the worst dive I've ever been in. The memoribilia on the walls made me want to hurl. I see he's now reduced to doing car commercials. What a fitting end.
Yep, Marino is the official spokesperson for one of our Ford Dealerships here in Jax, Mike Shad Ford. He has to come all the way up the coast to do a commercial when they could have just gotten someone from our own ffootball team, that would have been better.

Old 10-01-2003, 09:03 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A fitting end?! Car commercials?

And INSIDE THE NFL on HBO, and color commentary, and NFL half-time show on CBS...

LMAO...

Like him or not, you can't take away the fact that Marino is one of the best QBs to play the game. Statistics don't lie. I'll be the first to admit it, he should've retired before he did but, I'm sure he was sticking it out to see if he could get a SB ring first. Can't blame him for that. No quarterback that ever plays in Miami will be able to fill his shadow.

I really don't care for the Broncos but, Elway was an EXCELLENT QB... I don't care for the 49ers but, Montana was a GREAT QB... Same thing with the Pack...but Farve was GREAT in his day.

Just because you hate the phish, don't take something away from a guy that meant a great deal to his team, the sport of football, and mostly, the NFL.

RP

Old 10-01-2003, 09:32 AM
I'd be so lucky to have to settle for doing car commercials and nation-wide sports broadcasts, meet-and-greet a couple fans at one of my restaurants, and then drive my luxury car to my multi-million dollar house.

Old 10-01-2003, 03:43 PM
I will readily admit that the guy had one of the best (if not THE best) arms in football and he had a VERY quick release. However, he had the mobility of a rock and when he faked a handoff NOBODY in the entire stadium bought it.

Yeah, he made a bucket of money and good for him. Now how about he just fade quietly away instead of being annoying on the radio about some APR rate on a new car. Can you tell that I don't care much for the guy?

Old 10-01-2003, 04:51 PM
RECORDS: Holds NFL career records for most touchdown passes -- 420; most yards passing -- 61,361; most passes attempted -- 8,358; most passes completed -- 4,967; most games with 400 or more yards passing -- 12; and most games with four or more touchdown passes -- 21. ... Holds NFL records for most seasons with 4,000 or more yards passing -- 6; most seasons with 3,000 or more yards passing -- 13; most consecutive seasons with 3,000 or more yards passing -- 9 (1984-1992); most games with 300 or more yards passing -- 60; most consecutive games with four or more touchdown passes -- 4 (November 26-December 17, 1984); most seasons leading league in pass attempts -- 5; and most seasons leading league in pass completions -- 6. ... Holds NFL single-season records for most yards passing -- 5,084 (1984); most touchdown passes -- 48 (1984); most games with 400 or more yards passing -- 4 (1984); most games with four or more touchdown passes -- 6 (1984); and most consecutive games with four or more touchdown passes -- 4 (1984). ... Holds NFL rookie-season records for highest pass completion percentage -- 58.45 (1983);and highest passer rating -- 96.0 (1983). ... Shares NFL records for most seasons leading league in yards passing -- 5; most consecutive seasons leading league in pass completions -- 3 (1984-1986); and most consecutive games with 400 or more yards passing -- 2 (December 2 and 9, 1984). ... Shares NFL single-season record for most games with 300 or more yards passing -- 9 (1984).

Yeah... Marino sucked.

Old 10-01-2003, 08:35 PM
Moderator &

I understand what you're saying rk... I think he just likes being in the limelight still... *shrugs*

Wow... look at that list of records... geesh...

Then again, they do keep records on some pretty obscure stuff...

Old 10-02-2003, 07:26 AM
As I said previously, he's got (had?) a great arm, no doubt about it. I don't think anyone could possibly argue that point. But look at the list of records you posted. Unless I missed one, every record is for passing. It would probably be interesting to look at the mobility stats on him. Rushing, sacks, etc. How did he stack up in the league in those areas?

Plus I can't help but wonder how much of those records are attributable to having a first class bunch of receivers (Clayton, Duper). If the coachs stacked the team heavily for a passing game (ie. top of the line receivers, offensive line custom made for pass protection), then I would expect to see a bunch of records. If they would have had a bunch of butterfingers for receivers and a running game line then Marino would have looked terrible in the record book. It takes more than one great arm to complete a pass.

Old 10-02-2003, 09:34 AM
Moderator &

Zero arguements from me...

Old 10-02-2003, 09:04 PM
It's not just about the arm. There are guys plowing fields in Poe-Dunk, Illinois with better arms. Very few QBs in the history of the game have had the patience in the pocket that Marino had. That's why you didn't see him scrambling around like a desperate lost puppy in the backfield. That, and the fact that, at over 6' 3" and 215 Lbs, he could hold his own and wasn't a fold up sissy boy when the heat was on. Still, it's hard to call anybody without a Super Bowl ring the best QB ever.

Old 10-02-2003, 09:11 PM
'fins suck.

sorry that's all i got

Old 10-03-2003, 07:44 AM
I'm gonna respectfully disagree with you on two points.

First, I think it is about the arm. I agree, I think there probably are some farm boys out there that have a stronger arm but putting a fine accuracy on all that strength is a whole lot harder to find.

Second. Of course he was cool in the pocket, he had an offensive line and backfield around him that one job and one job only, protect the quarterback. I believe I remember hearing or reading that he had the quickest release of any QB in history because of a lightning fast arm and a two or three step drop.

I'll concede that the guy was deadly accurate and could fire a perfect frozen rope virtually every time. Couple that with receivers who probably practiced timing patterns in their sleep and yeah, you will win a bunch of games. But calling a one dimensional team great in my opinion is a stretch. Balance an explosive running game to an accurate passing game mirrored to an iron defense and that will be a team that will win superbowls.

Yes/No ??

Russ

Old 10-03-2003, 07:53 PM

Quick Reply: How About Those MIAMI DOLPHINS!?!?