300k 5.4 3v Maintenance & Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 11:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
300k 5.4 3v Maintenance & Upgrade Question

My 06 FX4 5.4 3v has officially hit 300k miles. Original cam phasers, oil pump, water pump, timing chain etc. and runs like a champ with no noises or performance issues of note. I have searched and can’t find answers so asking here to see what everyone’s opinions are. I’m considering having the phasers, timing job, high volume oil pump and exhaust manifolds replaced/updated. I’m only concerned about the engine (know where I stand on everything else) and trying to decide what kind of life I’ll realistically get if I give her the spa treatment.

What else should I consider replacing if I’m getting the above already done? Any other internal or external engine components to consider taking care of? Always appreciate the pooled knowledge here! Thanks for anything you’ve experienced that will help me decide!

Old 04-17-2024, 11:43 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Recommend that if you are doing phasers and a timing job, you use the latest Motorcraft parts, not aftermarket. Use a Melling oil pump.

The following 2 users liked this post by glc:
Old 04-18-2024, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Recommend that if you are doing phasers and a timing job, you use the latest Motorcraft parts, not aftermarket. Use a Melling oil pump.
That’s my plan. Have used mostly Motorcraft parts save for a few like Moog UCAs with the grease zerks. What else should I have my builder look at or potentially replace while he’s in there?

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-18-2024, 10:14 AM
glc
Cam followers/lifters.

The following 2 users liked this post by glc:
Old 04-18-2024, 05:59 PM
Anyone have experience with a high mileage engine being ‘rebuilt’ in this way vs a reman engine, something like from powertrain products?

Old 04-18-2024, 10:11 PM
glc
Well, if I were in your shoes and the engine is running well, quiet, not burning much oil, I would personally wait till it starts causing you problems, then look at a Powertrain Products reman. With that many miles, it's an if it ain't broke don't fix it deal in my opinion.

Old 04-19-2024, 10:15 AM
Thanks @glc I’d love to, but I travel several hundred miles weekly for work so I’m concerned about getting stranded. 🤷‍♂️ Maybe that fear is unfounded and I’m just worried because of the horror stories. I have no oil leaks or sounds that concerns me, so maybe you’ve got the right idea. I’m going to price out both the engine replacement vs doing the preventatives. Do the blocks themselves wear out if the internal and external components are all good?

Old 04-19-2024, 02:50 PM
glc
The only wear items in the block itself are the cylinder walls. If it's not burning oil they are fine. Before anything fails, it should start making noises. Not to say that an instant failure is impossible, but not very likely. The heads are going to fall apart before the block. The cams don't use bearings, they ride on the head surfaces directly.

Old 04-19-2024, 05:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
I have only heard the best from Melling pumps. 2nd that on any F150, but ESP for 3V's. I cannot comment on added flow, altering pressure, as a viscosity change might. GUYS???

EDIT: They freely sent me a catalog.
AND you could consider doing a compression check, and getting a tuner. It might warn you of an aging sensor that could put you in limp mode. COPs are a thought, w plugs.

Last edited by BillSF9c; 04-19-2024 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:17 PM
glc
I would assume the plugs have been changed more than once, possibly the coils. No way do you get 300k out of a set of spark plugs in any engine.

Old 04-19-2024, 09:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
I would assume the plugs have been changed more than once, possibly the coils. No way do you get 300k out of a set of spark plugs in any engine.
Of course - but IF he goes for a compression check, and IF he's making a LIST, it's nice to have plugs handy, IF warranted. We are offering ideas, not critiquing him.

I understand COPs can weaken over time. Thoughts there, esp at 300k?

Old 04-20-2024, 01:00 AM
Yes, COPs all new around 180-200k. New plugs (3rd set) but probably time for replacement. I have a PHP Gryphon programmer with a couple custom tunes. Compression test is a good idea. I have the equipment, not sure why I didn’t think of that! I have zero oil leaks and no noticeable noises. Just got done upgrading to the hooded vacuum solenoid, vacuum lines and IEWs.

I’ve never had a timing job or HV oil pump installed. I’m considering doing a few of the things Fordtechmakuloco recommends in addition to the suggestions gathered here. I’ll bring my research to my builder and have him evaluate and help me decide.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-28-2024, 06:18 PM
Update:

Transmission fluid changed and new filter installed. Everything looked good and seemed to be a normal amount of metal on the magnet for the age.

Changed the oil to 5w30 (have always run Motorcraft 5w20.) Ran some copper pipe and added a mechanical oil pressure gauge. Hot idle, no a/c in drive is 29-30 psi. Looking good. 👍

Old 04-28-2024, 09:14 PM
glc
With that kind of oil pressure, leave it alone! You have a good one.

Old 04-29-2024, 09:23 AM
Yes, I was happy to see that! I believe it’s because I have quite a lot of highway miles. I’m an anomaly with probably 65% of the 300k at long distance (3-4 hour+) drives. My guess (just a guess) is the engine doesn’t suffer as much going 70+ for long periods vs if I was stop and go. 🤷‍♂️

Quick Reply: 300k 5.4 3v Maintenance & Upgrade Question