Pre-1997 Models

Just bought my first F150! Now What???

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Just bought my first F150! Now What???

Hello y'all! As my name would suggest, I am new to the world of Ford trucks. I just purchased a 1994 F150 XLT 4WD with the 5.8L V8 and the E4OD transmission. The truck has 154K miles. I had the truck inspected before purchase in Spokane by a reputable shop. As with most of these pre-sale inspections, it was mostly a visual inspection combined with a test drive. The inspection notes can be found here.

The synopsis was it passed all categories with the following exceptions/observations/recommendations:

Brake Fluid observed as Dark / Dirty. Recommend Flush Brake System

Tune-Up. Recommend to Refer To Factory Maintenance Schedule

Front differential's fluid condition is Contaminated/Dirty. Recommend change fluid

Rear differential's fluid condition is Contaminated / Dirty. Recommend change fluid

Transmission leaking coolant. Small coolant leak from engine freeze plug where heater was installed. Now leaking coolant level 1. Recommend repairing the leak.

Transmission pan leaking level 1

They also noted that the transmission shows signs that it was out of the vehicle recently. And the likelihood that the transmission was removed for any other reason than repair/rebuild is very low. The did not note the presence of a rebuilt sticker on the transmission. "Recently" could mean anywhere from 3 months to 18 months, there was no way of knowing specifically, they said. The truck has no service records to demonstrate any repairs.

With that information in hand, let me add that the inspectors shared their appreciation for the condition of the truck, both mechanically and cosmetically. (It really is in great cosmetic shape for a 25 year old vehicle).

But, looks aside, more importantly I need to begin maintaining the truck appropriately with the goal of making it last another 150K miles over 10 years or so. Once that care has been established and mechanical things have been attended to, I can entertain ideas on personalization, modifications...etc.

So, suggestions to various established threads are appreciated. Or, direct messaging. Whatever you suggest for a rookie like me to get into the swing of things. I need to know what to do and the correct order to do it in, if applicable.

Last edited by Rookie-Ford-Guy; 07-19-2019 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Additional Information
Old 07-19-2019, 03:30 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Looks like the inspector gave you a good list of service items to start with. Service the truck from one end to the other. I personally change the engine oil every 5k miles and dump the trans pan, install a new filter and refill the pan every 20k miles. Drain and refill the transfer case too.

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: Just bought my first F150! Now What???