2015 - 2020 F-150

Clear protection for front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear protection for front bumper

Hey all,
I am trading in for a '19 Platinum tomorrow and I can't wait. I'm lining up a couple of aftermarket things I need like a cap, tint, and Rhino Liner. But I am wondering about some kind of a clear protector for the front bumper. After owning my '12 FX4, I SWORE I would not buy another truck without a chrome bumper. But here I am, in Michigan, buying another color keyed bumper that is going to get dinged and knicked and then rust out. So I thought I would try to get some type of a clear film to protect it. I see some kits that seem to protect the entire truck like the fenders, hood, and all. But I am just worried about the actual bumper, since that's the only place I've had issues. What do you all recommend? 3M? Where do you get it and what did you pay? Can I buy ONLY the bumper, or do I have to get the "bubblewrap your entire truck" package?

Old 04-12-2019, 10:03 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
No, you don't have to wrap the entire truck. I had my truck professionally "wrapped" and it looks like it just came off the showroom. In my case, I had the front half of the hood, the front half of the fenders and the painted parts of the front end covered. They also put film inside the door handle "cups" and along the door edges.

The technique is a bit tricky but it is easier to apply this kind of film than the film used to tint windows. It CAN be done DIY but unless you've seen how it's done or have done it before, you would probably be better off having a pro do it. Getting it to conform to compound curves is the hard part and removing bubbles takes patience. The 3M film is fine but another brand you can buy that is used by pros is EXPEL. Mine is wrapped in Sun-Tek, which, as far as I know is only available to pros.

There are utube videos on this process. DO NOT buy "cheap" films. They are not flexible or stretchy and will not conform to your truck's contours.

- Jack

Old 04-12-2019, 11:40 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Just a suggestion - look at Line-X instead of Rhino.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Just a suggestion - look at Line-X instead of Rhino.
I just got done reading through the extensive thread about Line X. However, I still am not clear on what the difference is between Rhino and Line X. I have had Rhino on my last two trucks. It lasted 11 years on one and 7 years on the other without a single problem. Sounds like both are excellent products. At this point, the only difference I see may be the price. Waiting on a quote back from Line X.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:53 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
I had my 2018 professionally wrapped with 3M clear film. Bumper, upper bumper trim, and grill shell.

I specifically requested not to do the front edge of the hood or fenders because I don't like when they do a partial panel and you end up with a weird line where it stops.

You can't see its even done unless you're really close up on it. I can post some pictures if you'd like

Old 04-18-2019, 10:36 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm going to comment on Patman's discussion of his 2018's PPF wrapping. Please don't read this as being critical or in any way being in disagreement.

I had the first half of my hood and the front fenders of my 2014 truck wrapped, in addition to the front bumper and upper bumper trim. I've also had my car wrapped much the same way, including the car's outside PTM mirrors. My paint on both vehicles is white pearl, and much as Patrick stated, unless you get right up close, you don't notice it anywhere. It's quite possible that if the paint were a different color, it might be more noticeable. The film used on my vehicles is SunTek, which is "self-healing" and optically clear.

If the line where the film ends bothers anyone, the entire hood and front fenders could be wrapped. The guy who did my job owns a dark green Corvette, and he wrapped the ENTIRE vehicle. You cannot see the film and the paint is perfect.

PPF is not applied to chrome surfaces, because it would be VERY noticeable and "ugly".

I'm careful with my vehicles and want them to look good for as long as possible. Considering what they cost, I feel the protection offered by PPF is a good investment, since I derive pleasure whenever I look at them.

- Jack

Quick Reply: Clear protection for front bumper