2015 - 2020 F-150

2018 f-150 transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 f-150 transmission issues

bought my f150 in June 2018. It’s a 5.0 10 speed v-8. I’m on my second transmission (replaced September) and I just dropped off the truck at the dealer again Saturday cause it kicked out of gear and started blowing blue smoke out the end. Fluid all underneath from front to rear. Dealership is giving the run around. Says it’s transmission fluid but they never can replicate my issues. I’m thinking I should lemon law the truck. I love the truck but it spends more time at the dealer than with me. I just with the dealer or ford would step up and say hey I realize this truck has issues and replace with new or hand me my money back. Instead I have to fight for what’s right. Anyone else have these same issues? I could go on and on with what’s been replaced so far and the truck only has 2900 miles!

Old 02-19-2019, 03:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Each state has different lemon law procedures. Check what yours are, you might already be out of the parameters for your state. My 05 was a lemon, I started the lemon law process on it and unwisely dropped my claim. If you have had many problems with it I would try and get rid of it before it’s too late. I think in NY it was 3 attempts to fix the problem within 18months of purchase. Document everything well and don’t settle.
Good luck

Old 02-19-2019, 04:02 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
IF Ford actually replaced the transmission in your truck, yours would be the first I've heard of. Ford has only authorized dealer rebuilds ONLY. That's probably why you're getting the run around as the dealer pretty much knows it's theirs to fix, not Ford. I'd look into the lemon laws in your State to see what it will cost you. In Texas, our lemon laws are worthless as you'll pay 57 cents for every mile on the vehicle and that is deducted from the cost of purchase. Most often, it's FAR cheaper to just trade the thing in and take the lumps.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:26 PM
Update...

talked to the dealer. It was transmission fluid that blew out the vent tube and went all over the under carriage of the truck, which I didn’t mention before is a 2018. So they are now driving it with a computer attached to it. I mentioned how is this happening to the 2nd transmission. Did you really put in new? They said yes. But who knows I only have their word to go by. Seriously after 2900 miles the second transmission is failing. This is absurd. We will begin lemon law proceedings for our state, PA. In the meantime hopefully the dealership gets the truck running and cleans all the fluid off the paint etc. cause then we will have a pain problem.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 18 SCrew is back in the shop again for the transmission hard shifting. This time, the dealer says "They found something but won't know exactly what until they get the transmission out." I bet my lawyer discussing the PA lemon law had a lot to do with their diagnosis. The last time, they found nothing wrong again. They also allegedly replaced the bulging dash, but I didn't see any difference when I picked the truck up, so they get to fix that again.

Last edited by Cold Steel; 09-03-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:45 PM
10spd issues

I’m in the same boat with all of you. I’ve brought mine in a few times, dealership has kept it for days and then denies there is an issue. My biggest complaint is documenting this with Ford. The company is horrible to communicate with.

Old 11-06-2019, 05:34 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Ford and GM have a problem with their jointly designed 10 speed transmissions it appears and it also appears that they do not know how to fix it. So, when it starts blowing fluid, it may be best to keep driving it until it falls on the road in parts. Then they have to replace it with a new one. Perhaps a new one will work ok.

Trending Topics

Old 11-06-2019, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Roadie
Ford and GM have a problem with their jointly designed 10 speed transmissions it appears and it also appears that they do not know how to fix it. So, when it starts blowing fluid, it may be best to keep driving it until it falls on the road in parts. Then they have to replace it with a new one. Perhaps a new one will work ok.
@Roadie. Unfortunately I agree. To help with documentation I filed the issue with NHTSA.
The hard down shift shakes the truck.

Old 02-05-2020, 11:48 AM
2019 5.0 stx

Transmission whines so bad when I drive by people they even are looking at me like what a piece of junk. Also having other issues like not knowing what gear it wants to be in, banging when downshifting been back to dealer with different issues including the cam phaser being replaced and I complain about the transmission everytime and they claim Ford says it's normal. I have had loaner trucks that haven't made the horrible whining noise my truck does. Been a Ford die hard for a very long time but thinking it's time to end the relationship seeing how they aren't willing to even try to resolve these transmission issues.

Old 05-04-2020, 05:15 PM
2018 Ford Supercrew F150 Lariat 3.5L - 45,000KM, and I've been having issues in 2-3-4-5 gear and reverse, took it in today, and they are replacing the Transmission Valve Body. Anybody else get this done?

Old 05-10-2020, 07:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
File a complaint with the NHTSA. If enough of us file complaiints, the Feds will start investigating and hopefully force a recall.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Old 03-18-2021, 04:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2018 STX supecrew 4x4. Mine has the 2.7L ecoboost. I got it used at the end of January with 52K miles on it. So far I have had no issues. This thread has caused me to pay very close attention for any of the issues others are having. Hopefully the build date on mine is after Ford solved the problem but honestly I don't know. If things get weird, I'll post the results.

Old 03-25-2021, 03:42 PM
Trans Issues fixed

I took delivery of an '18 3.5 back in December of '20. 33K, more or less, not looking at odo. Looking through the forums I'm wondering if there was ever any resolution to the issue. Was a range of vins established as the "problem children" ? Mine has presented 0 concerns to date. I use/experiment with the different ranges, mostly to get the best fuel mileage.

Appreciate any and all feedback!

Old 03-25-2021, 07:25 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dahoserman
Transmission whines so bad when I drive by people they even are looking at me like what a piece of junk. Also having other issues like not knowing what gear it wants to be in, banging when downshifting been back to dealer with different issues including the cam phaser being replaced and I complain about the transmission everytime and they claim Ford says it's normal. I have had loaner trucks that haven't made the horrible whining noise my truck does. Been a Ford die hard for a very long time but thinking it's time to end the relationship seeing how they aren't willing to even try to resolve these transmission issues.
FYI, this was originally a GM/Ford joint development program....of which the engineers/management of each company couldn't get along.... to the point that before the project was completed each went their own separate ways.... mostly caused (as reported) not by the senior engineers but by the "Me 1st/Me Too" junior engineers and managers who by whining/temper tantrums became the project leads and silencing the most senior engineers and managers on the project (ie- literally sidelined).... the results are what both Ford & Gm owners are experiencing the same issues....GM has taken the position it is a "Design Flaw" and they are "not responsible"..... for such and is to be expected....check out the comments posted in the cadilliac websites....boy are they "Happy"

Old 01-10-2022, 12:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My 2018 5.0 10 speed is going into neutral when starting out cold. It's like the gas pedal goes dead. No bucking, shaking or noise, just a dead pedal! HELP!!

EDIT: pedal ok, trans slips and tach jumps.

Last edited by jjmIII; 01-13-2022 at 02:06 PM.

Quick Reply: 2018 f-150 transmission issues