2004 - 2008 F-150

Official what did you do to your truck today thread.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 12:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tbear853
Big "Thank You" both .....

Means a bunch from either one of you "old timers" here.
"Old Timer" is right' as in been a member here 10 years this month, I'm over 50 and I have the oldest truck of both of you ..

Ice looks like it does a nice job, I've never used it before though.. Does look similar to 303 but don't know it if offers the same protection.. I like using 303 on all my door seals, rubber, tonneu cover and sometimes the bumper covers etc.. Works great and lasts a good while before washing off. Believe it or not I also like useing tire gel, works great and lasts.

2008XL

If you really want it permanently black you'll have to remove them.. Go to an auto body paint supply shop and get your self some SEM 39143 Trim Black and paint them..I just did my bed rails and cowl vents and they came out Amazing! They have a perfect OEM finish.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:38 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
I am with you .... 303 on rubber ...... but I don't mind if the Ice get's on top of it. Aerospace 303 Protectant does have a "heavier film" feel to it when dried ... or maybe I should say, "imparts more drag on the buffing cloth" .... like "gummier".

But on the plastic, I usually just throw Ice on it. Holds up well enough, cheap, a spritz goes a long ways with the dedicated foam applicator that is soaked from use.

That SEM stuff .... Haven't yet used the SEM 39143 Trim Black you mentioned to 2008XL .... but I'm gonna try it.

Last year I came up on a good deal on a long wanted Corbin seat for our Trike, it is leather in the seat part and vinyl on the sides. The leather was "purple", the trike is red .... clashed bad. Guy I bought it from has a purple or "magenta" trike and his wife didn't like the custom seat so it was hardly used. I wanted to make the leather black and tried several products .... I used adheason promoter, all of it .... ended up each time with stuff peeling off the leather.
Then I read about SEM .... investigated, was twice the costs plus, ordered, used their instructions, cleaned all other stuff off leather with thinner, got leather spotless, followed instructions, prepped exactly as instructed, then used SEM Classic Coat in black and it has held up without fail anywhere in a year's riding since. Ended up with a beautiful seat for 1/4 the costs of a new Corbin.

Last edited by tbear853; 08-12-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the forum, great to see all the topics discussed here. I think I found my help desk for my 04 XLT CrewCab 4.6L. hahaha

Last year (fall 2015) I replaced all brakes and rotors with Powerstop brakes. I had a front caliper issue, so I replaced those with Powerstop calipers this past spring.

I did the Gotts mod after reading about it last week. The biggest challenge for me was trimming/narrowing the 3" pvc. I found that my hand planer did the best job, it took a bit, but I liked the extra work. I'm not very mechanically inclined, so I'm learning as I go. I have a couple friends that know their way around a garage, so I lean on them.

I ordered a grille assembly and both side mirrors (pretty beat up from the previous owner). I should have them by the weekend. I'm in process of getting some rust spots fixed and keeping this truck forever (hopefully). Future adds will be a bluetooth DD head unit, new front and rear bumpers (chrome), and will be looking at new lights all around.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by dingle87
New to the forum, great to see all the topics discussed here. I think I found my help desk for my 04 XLT CrewCab 4.6L. hahaha
... etc ...
Welcome ... ... and don't be bashful about posting thoughts, questions, and pics ..... we like pics.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:40 PM
Good to know. If I pull the trigger on some rust repair I will post pre and post pics. I purchased my truck with a dent on the passenger side, just below the tail light. My wife has a good friend, who owns a body shop, so we get the family rate. 125,000 miles on my 2004, so she is lightly used since I bought it with 85-90k 5 yrs ago. So many things I'd like to do, so little $$$$$.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:18 AM
Replaced the Multifunction Switch (aka Turn Signal lever) as it simply broke after almost 249,000 miles of usage.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by dingle87
Good to know. If I pull the trigger on some rust repair I will post pre and post pics. ... etc ... My wife has a good friend, who owns a body shop, so we get the family rate. ... etc ... so little $$$$$.
Maybe you can work out a "barter like deal", kick in some labor, maybe trade some clean up time for his body rep time, etc? Understand the "so little $$$$$".
Originally Posted by DSGSTX81
Replaced the Multifunction Switch (aka Turn Signal lever) as it simply broke after almost 249,000 miles of usage.
Hard to find anything made these days that'll last long .....

Last edited by tbear853; 07-29-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:50 PM
Lol tbear

.....but so very true

Old 08-01-2016, 09:14 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not so much today (8/1/16), but Friday (7/29/16), and I, specifically, didn't do it, but had Murphy's Motorsports in Warrenton install my 2.5 inch leveling blocks, and after they (19 year old kid) installed them, they (same 19 year old kid) aligned it too, all for the low, low price of $297 +.
My truck sits better, looks better, and steers better. Will take a pic this Saturday that can be compared to what's in my garage.

Last edited by FX-4 Man; 08-01-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:17 AM
Over the weekend finished replacing the oem broken grille with an aftermarket billet grille. I am not sure it was worth the cost, but it does look good.

new billet grille

close up of billet bars

Old 08-02-2016, 02:30 PM
Re-did my cb mount to fit better, and have better easier access while driving for tuning and such.

see below. came out good. needed to pull both rail pods down, cut and trim inside, and fishing coax and power through headliner was fun, but the result is good.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:19 AM
We experienced our first check engine light......it took long enough! 279,673k miles!!

Started fine this morning, idled up to about 1k and then idled down as I let her warm up for few minutes like always, when I put her in drive her idle went back up to about 1k instead of down to about 600 like normal.....idled a little rough at the stops...not able to maintain a steady idle.

1/2 way to work she spit up the engine light at me.

Guess I'll be stopping by the shop on the way home to have them read the code.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:42 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Hawkester
We experienced our first check engine light......it took long enough! 279,673k miles!!

Started fine this morning, idled up to about 1k and then idled down as I let her warm up for few minutes like always, when I put her in drive her idle went back up to about 1k instead of down to about 600 like normal.....idled a little rough at the stops...not able to maintain a steady idle.

1/2 way to work she spit up the engine light at me.

Guess I'll be stopping by the shop on the way home to have them read the code.
I'm going to guess a pedal position sensor -- we'll see if I'm right.....

Old 08-10-2016, 07:45 AM
Shop told me there was one code. 0174 (lean bank #2) which he said was most likely a vacuum leak or a possible intake manifold leak. I checked a few vacuum lines when I got home and found one that is flaking off in my hands as I touch it, so I'll start there and see what happens.

She seems to drive fine, just doesn't like to idle.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:50 AM
Well decided to do my own axle seals last night. noticed the back right was leaking on the back of the rotor, so used a friends hoist and went through it.

Went very smooth and not very difficult at all

New seal

Just pulled the pin out

pushing axle in to remove clip

axle pulled out

dirrrttty, seal and shoes, used a lot of brake clean lol

new seal in and cleaned as good as i can get it

the breather leak, resolved

what i noticed that required the seal replacement

all clean pan

all done, did both sides

Quick Reply: Official what did you do to your truck today thread.