using stock xm antenna for aftermarket h/u

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
using stock xm antenna for aftermarket h/u

hey guys, like the subject says, I want to know if I can take the stock satellite antenna that's mounted on the roof passenger side and plug it into a aftermarket xm/sirius adapter. I have a pioneer avhp4000 and i want to purchase the xm box for it. I do not want to have another antenna on my roof and hopefully I can just plug in the factory one to it. has anyone tried this?

Old 03-21-2010, 12:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I Did this for my sirius tuner that I purchased for my Kenwood aftermarket system. I do not have XM and I have not seen what the antenna plug looks like. I DO know that my truck came with Sirius, and I kept Sirius. The stock antenna has a plastic connector that "only" plugs into the stock tuner box. I carefully removed the plastic piece and viola... the cable tip was identical to the aftermarket sirus antenna.

Hoping someone else has input on the XM antenna/box...

If the HU accepts Sirius, and keeping the Factory Antenna is a big deal, consider Sirius with the "best of XM" package...

Old 03-28-2010, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by mwkatm
I Did this for my sirius tuner that I purchased for my Kenwood aftermarket system. I do not have XM and I have not seen what the antenna plug looks like. I DO know that my truck came with Sirius, and I kept Sirius. The stock antenna has a plastic connector that "only" plugs into the stock tuner box. I carefully removed the plastic piece and viola... the cable tip was identical to the aftermarket sirus antenna.

Hoping someone else has input on the XM antenna/box...

If the HU accepts Sirius, and keeping the Factory Antenna is a big deal, consider Sirius with the "best of XM" package...
I too want to replace my head unit but keep the factory antenna, i have not gotten into my dash yet to see what is all involved, if anybody had some pics that would be huge. i have a 08 FX4 with the audiophile package, any help or info will be appreciated.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:37 AM
I did this with my wife's 08 Expy. All it took was a $10 adapter from Circuit City to go to the aftermarket headunit. It was XM ready so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The stock antenna will work with XM or Sirius. Simply take the plastic end off and plug the antenna wire directly into the satellite radio tuner. It won't have anything to actually hold it in there but it's a somewhat tight fit and it won't come out. I've had no issues with mine for 1 1/2 years.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by 08FX4
The stock antenna will work with XM or Sirius. Simply take the plastic end off and plug the antenna wire directly into the satellite radio tuner. It won't have anything to actually hold it in there but it's a somewhat tight fit and it won't come out. I've had no issues with mine for 1 1/2 years.
thats where the duct tape comes in to play

Old 10-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Hope this helps..once the plastic cap is off the factory sirius plugged right into my pioneer head unit.
Name:  DSC01605.jpg
Views: 2367
Size:  41.2 KB

Quick Reply: using stock xm antenna for aftermarket h/u