Where is your xm antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is your xm antenna?

I just installed and everything for xm on my d3 but I can't find a good and easy way tooit the antenna on the roof. For now it's on my dash and working ok but I'd rather have it outside to get the best signal. Where are you putting your antenna and how are you getting it there?

Old 01-08-2010, 05:37 PM
If you look really close at my f150 you can see mine, it is on the upper driver's side corner of the windshield(right above it)Right above were the oil change sticker will be. it is really easy to put it there and hide all the wires. All you have to do is pull up the trim beside the windshield and trace it all the way down the windshield till it gets to the hood, then after that open your drivers side door and if you look inside your door you will see where your wire will be coming out of the windshield trim. Just take that wire and pull up the weatherstriping thats around where your door seals at.(you will see maybe 2" of wire when you open your door after completing) trace the wire down the inside of the weatherstriping till you get to the kick panel by your emergency brake. you will see a joint between the kick panel and dash meet...you can bring the wire in right there.....

Last edited by Harper 184; 01-08-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:46 AM
Do you really want to go outside? If you pull your HU and look behind it you will find a big metal crossbar. If your Sat radio antenna is magnetic it's a great place to mount it. If not, you can tie wrap it in place there, Know several who've done so, including me, and reception is great.

Do a little searching here and you'll find some threads that address this.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:35 AM
yeah, I put mine there also, on the opposite side I mounted my GPS antenna. So from the front it is balanced. I tried XM inside. note much luck when going in mountains or around tall buildings.
Originally Posted by Harper 184
If you look really close at my f150 you can see mine, it is on the upper driver's side corner of the windshield(right above it)Right above were the oil change sticker will be. it is really easy to put it there and hide all the wires. All you have to do is pull up the trim beside the windshield and trace it all the way down the windshield till it gets to the hood, then after that open your drivers side door and if you look inside your door you will see where your wire will be coming out of the windshield trim. Just take that wire and pull up the weatherstriping thats around where your door seals at.(you will see maybe 2" of wire when you open your door after completing) trace the wire down the inside of the weatherstriping till you get to the kick panel by your emergency brake. you will see a joint between the kick panel and dash meet...you can bring the wire in right there.....

Old 01-09-2010, 09:12 AM

my antenna was mounted by the sunroof from the factory

Old 01-09-2010, 12:07 PM
I also tried leaving mine inside my truck and it doesn't work so well when i go to the lake, all the trees make it cut out alot. But with mine mounted outside my truck it works perfectly.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:24 PM
I couldn't find the exact way to get it on the roof so I just used velcro and stuck it and the GPS sensor right infront of the center tray towards the hood. Works good so far, trees can be a problem though.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also have mine mounted on the right side of the roof of the cab... On the left hand side I have another one mounted for my GPS/ Nav system... It balances it out...

Old 01-11-2010, 11:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My installer had my Sirius antenna pop out the 3rd brakelight and is mounted on the roof.. Then sealed around the light..

Here's an older pic:

Old 01-13-2010, 01:06 AM
Just wanted to share my experience, might help someone out!

For the longest time, I had my XM antenna mounted on the cab, centered just above the windshield trim. I really did not like it being on the paint surface so I thought and thought and came up with what I have now, which is centered side to side on the cowl piece.

This came about when I took the cowl off to prep and paint it because it was really faded. So, I concealed the wire as to not get caught in the wiper linkage and zip tied the antenna part right next to the crease where to two pieces join. It works excellent and you can barely notice that it is there. I have had no trouble from the cowl piece either.

If anyone wants a pic, I will try to get a few when it is sunny outside tomorrow.
Hope this helps someone!

Old 02-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Suspended
MF i know this thread is old but id like to see a pic of how u have ur antenna and maybe some instructions on how u installed it

Old 02-03-2010, 07:32 AM
I did mine the same as tg150. It was super easy and there was plenty of wire to go from there all the way up to the front of the dash tray where my unit is mounted.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by 05FX4SCREW
I did mine the same as tg150. It was super easy and there was plenty of wire to go from there all the way up to the front of the dash tray where my unit is mounted.
Is it easy to get the headliner down? I also want to do it this way but want to know how to pull just enough of the headliner down to do it. I assume the interor panals are just held in place with snaps?

Old 02-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by Harper 184

Strangely mine is in the same exact place lol

Old 02-03-2010, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by Smokin Lariat
Do you really want to go outside? If you pull your HU and look behind it you will find a big metal crossbar. If your Sat radio antenna is magnetic it's a great place to mount it. If not, you can tie wrap it in place there, Know several who've done so, including me, and reception is great.

Do a little searching here and you'll find some threads that address this.
I have my GPS antenna there with great results.

Quick Reply: Where is your xm antenna?