Satillite Quality

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Satillite Quality

I just got my truck last week and it came with the limited trial period of Sirius and I have to admit that I was less than impressed with the sound quality of the system. At first, I thought it may have something to do with it being playing on the stock stereo system, but I quickly realized that if I switch my radio back to FM the sound quality is great. Am I missing a setting on the stock HU that enables a more dynamic sound? I am not sure how to describe it, but it sounds almost like its not in stereo. I like the variety of Sirius, but the lack of dynamic/full sound really bugs me, especially when I switch the HU back to analog FM and it sounds so much better.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by BobcatBill
I just got my truck last week and it came with the limited trial period of Sirius and I have to admit that I was less than impressed with the sound quality of the system. At first, I thought it may have something to do with it being playing on the stock stereo system, but I quickly realized that if I switch my radio back to FM the sound quality is great. Am I missing a setting on the stock HU that enables a more dynamic sound? I am not sure how to describe it, but it sounds almost like its not in stereo. I like the variety of Sirius, but the lack of dynamic/full sound really bugs me, especially when I switch the HU back to analog FM and it sounds so much better.
Sirius is roughly the audio quality equivalent of a 96kbps streaming MP3. The audio quality leaves a bit to be desired. Personally I use Sirius primarily for talk radio (NFL, NASCAR, Sports, Comedy, News) and use my iPod for music. I use 160kbps AACs in the iPod and while still not CD quality, it is easily 3x better than the Sirius sound.

That said, I still love my Sirius and wouldn't give it up for anything.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:24 PM
i'm with you bobcatbill, and i also have engine noise with it and the dvd but none on FM and CD player.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:36 PM
It really all depends on what channel you listen too. Some of the talk channels are as low as 96Kbs, whereas some of the popular channels are much higher bitrate. Listen to Channel 1, the best quality, then listen to one of the foreign music channels, you can tell the difference instantly. The more popular the channel, the better the sound. But I agree, some of them are pretty poor.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:37 PM
I don't know about you guys but all my channels sound exactly the same.... crystal clear. And I live up here in the northeast in the city with plenty of obstructions and the sound never fails.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by ZEEKA
I don't know about you guys but all my channels sound exactly the same.... crystal clear. And I live up here in the northeast in the city with plenty of obstructions and the sound never fails.
Clear yes, full range? No. I love Sirius but the sound quality simply isn't there. It's like they clipped off the top 5% of the frequency range. But, if you dig it and are happy, then more power to you. There programming can't be touched (until the merger is enacted) and because of that, I remain a loyal Sirius subscriber.

Are you XM folks satisfied with the SQ? To be honest I've never heard an XM radio..

Old 04-12-2008, 02:10 AM
i think the sirius bass/treble controls are a different setting from am/fm or cd

Old 04-12-2008, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by Justi
Are you XM folks satisfied with the SQ? To be honest I've never heard an XM radio..
I have XM for like two+ years and I love it! I have a AirWare XM2GO and listen mostly in house since I don't take many long trips. SQ is fine to me in house and truck! I bought my stepdad one and he likes it.

Last edited by j2h1; 04-12-2008 at 08:11 AM. Reason: wrong wording
Old 04-15-2008, 08:29 PM
Sirius isn't near the quality of CD. I refuse to give it up though as I couldn't drive without my hair nation fix

Old 04-19-2008, 08:25 PM
I also got a free subscription and was totally displeased with the experience...a prime example would be the song Hey Hey What Can I Do by Led Zeppelin...acoustics are wavering in and out and the drums are thrashed...

yes, sirius has a great set of selections, but until something is done about the LOW quality of sound I will never pay for it...

Old 04-26-2008, 07:10 AM
I've had Sirius for 4 years and I will NEVER go back to FM. I will take low SQ over 20 minutes of commercials on terrestrial radio any day.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:39 AM
yep. this was discussed in another thread a week or two ago.

sound quality is not there. some stations are better than others but even the best channels fall short of "cd quality".

maybe in the near future, they'll get tired of customers complaining, and send a higher quality signal to their customers.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Suspended
I have XM in all my cars my wifes focus has a roady xt to a pioneer hu thru a fm tranciver and as long as you can find a dead fm station it is flawless I use a skifi 3 in my towncar same deal and in my truck have the pioneer hu that is sat ready with the xm unit installed upgraded the factory (from 99) speakers to 4 pioneer 6x9s all in all the xm service and sound quality is flawless

Old 04-28-2008, 09:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
XM is Superior to sirius... ive had 04 f150 with audiohpile system with sirius and i thought it was pretty good... Until i bought an 08 GMC SIerra with Bose systema and had XM Radio.. and the sound quality is unreall... it sounds better than CD IMO..

Old 05-05-2008, 07:42 PM
I have had XM for @ 3 years and wouldn't drive down the block without it. It has great audio quality and I never lose a signal.

Quick Reply: Satillite Quality