06 F150 with AM/FM/Cassette/SingleCD want Sirius

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
augidog

To clarify - only the Ford 'satellite' ready headunits will display and control the Ford factory Sirius tuner. There is a specific connection on the back of the headunit for the sirius tuner and it may have a 'SAT' or 'AUX' button on the face. Ford makes several headunits that look identical from the front but have different feature/function capabilities (ie DVD Entertainment Sys, Sirius, Audiophile). Unfortunately, Ford didn't think this through and create a single platform that we could add options in a plug & play manner. They decided to make and sell several unique configurations that are not interchangeable.

That's why it is important to read through the numerous threads in this forum and figure out the possibilities to get what you want.

Some of the options I've seen are:
1) aftermarket Sirius tuner/display such as the Starmate replay. You can even mount this in the ashtray or overhead bin for a cleaner look.

2) purchase a used Ford factory system through the classifieds here or ebay. Just be sure you know your part numbers.

3) purchase a new aftermarket HU that will support almost anything you might want to add. (Sirius, iPod, SD card navigation, DVD entertainment, back-up video system, etc) This seems to be the most popular and most expensive option from what I read on this forum. More money than I'm willing to spend on it since I don't spend that much time in my truck

Most of what I know on this subject comes from research here and several lengthy conversations with the company that handles the audio work for most of the local Ford dealers here (Omicron Radio), calls to Sirus, calls to Crutchfield, and conversations with a couple of high end mobile audio shops. I'm not an expert, but I've been down the road you are on. Let me know if you have any more question that I can answer for you.

Old 08-02-2006, 01:20 PM
jdwestsr,

Thanks for the reply. I'm willing to get another HU, in fact, the dealer said that was what they would do for us. Then, they tells us the wiring is not compatible. I've talked to numerous companies and they all tell me the wiring is the same in all 2006 F150 Ford Trucks, so any radio could be put in it. They also are telling me the dealer just doesn't want to spend the money to do. The deal was that they allowed $400 to put the satellite radio system in.

Do you know, if they are just lieing to me or what?

Have you heard there is a new system coming out that will work with the AUX button just like the system that works now with the SAT button? It seems it is suppose to be out in Sept.

In you option#2 you said purchase a used Frod factory system. What one would I purchase that would work?

At the present, I have XM Roady unit and I'm thinking of just keeping this and see if the new system (when & if it comes out) works.

Thanks for the info. I have learned alot.

Old 08-02-2006, 03:54 PM
I can only guess what your dealer is trying to get away with, but if I were in your situation I would have a conversation with the general manager. I don't think it's a wiring problem, but I have been told that Ford will not let them sell the Sirius equipped HUs as a dealer add-on. One reason I heard is that the manufacturer of the HU is having trouble enough keeping up with demand for the factory units and they don't want to make it worse by opening another channel to sell them. In any case, if the general manager at the dealership is not willing to make good on his sales person's promise, then I would take it up with Ford's regional office. I hope you have something in writing that says they will install the factory Sirius. If so, then Ford should be obligated to honor it.

I have heard that a new 'backward compatible' Sirius tuner is coming out. But it has been delayed twice this year already so I wouldn't hold my breath. If you bought the truck new a month ago, I would keep the pressure on the dealer to do what they promised when you were negotiating - no matter what Ford's "rules" are they can make it happen if you make enough noise.

Per my earlier post, the HU part # to look for is 5L3T-18C815-xx or 6L3T-18C815-xx (for the 6 disc changer version that supports Sirius). I think the factory Sirius tuner part # is 6LT3-18C963-xx or 5LT3-18C963-xx, but double check that before spending any money.

Good luck... and keep us posted on how the dealership responds.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Done with Ford

Thanks guys for all the help.

I just went to my local Radio shop and they are going to install XM with everything hidden and connected to the AUX button. They are putting the display/Control in the ashtray compartment so it is accessible but out of sight, unless I want to open it to see who is singing, etc.

Ford here in Alexandria, KY is not easy to work with. They will not return any phone calls and they either lie or avoid the questions. As for the paperwork, I do have an add-on paper but unfortunally it only says " Owe Customer XM radio". Guess I really messed up on this deal and really wasn't any deal.
I only got $1000 off sticker.

I did get the dealer to pay for the system that the Radio Shop is installing, so I'm not out any money.

Thanks again, if I should need more info on my Ford, I will know where to come.

Quick Reply: 06 F150 with AM/FM/Cassette/SingleCD want Sirius