Sirius Sound Quality

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sirius Sound Quality

I just bought a Sirius Starmate PnP receiver. I plan on getting the Kenwood EZ700 or something similiar with a dedicated tuner. I only bought the PnP model to test the reception in my rural area. I noticed that the sound quality sounds a bit "tinny" (like internet radio) and sometimes staticy. I AM using the wireless FM transmitter.

I'm hoping that the low quality that I'm hearing is due to the FM transmitter, and that a wired tuner will be much better. I need to know other peoples experiences with wired tuners. Do they rival cd quality like I'm hoping? Is the static that I hear once in awhile from the FM transmitter or is it due to signal loss? I would think that with signal loss, it would just cut out rather than hearing static.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks,

Matt

Old 09-15-2005, 09:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, my Sirius tuner arrives tomorrow, installing this weekend. I've got the PIE adaptor, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 09-15-2005, 09:37 PM
I htink the low quality you are hearing is from the FM modulator.

I have mine wired through and AUX input (headphone jack to headphone jack)
and it sounds crystal clear and in some cases better than cd's.
Think of it like this

if the signal is:

modulated

1:recieved at the tuner.
2.turned to fm (sound quality loss)
3.sent to a frequency, albei a short distance, there is still room for interference, plus many stations are 100,000 watts channels, the little amp in the sirius tuner cant block all of it. (interference)
4: recieved at your HU

AUX wired in

1:recieved signal
2:signal sent through secure link via headphone stereo cable or if your HU is sirius ready, it has the tuner inside, thus less room for travel.
3:recieved at your HU

so, you have way more room for interference and s.q. loss when its modulated.

Old 09-17-2005, 10:18 AM
Well, so far, with the FM transmitter, it sounds fine. There is a difference between CD and the FM trans. I will be installing the PIE unit tomorrow...
No photos yet.

Old 09-19-2005, 03:21 PM
Just as an update, I have the Clarion Calypso installed with the PIE unit. The signal clarity is excellent. I highly recommend that unit.

PIE thread

Old 09-19-2005, 05:52 PM
I sell and install Sirius. Your problem is 100% in the FM modulator. You can do one of two things. Get a hardwired FM modulator, or get a unit that is built in. I personally added the Hardwired FM modulator, and it is a powered unit. WHen you switch it on, you only get silence till you turn on the sirius, then you get the best quality music you could ever want. The sound from the hardwired modulator easily rivals the all in one unit.

Old 09-21-2005, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by 98Navi
Your problem is 100% in the FM modulator. You can do one of two things.
I agree... except get the PIE Aux converter.. It is better than the CD... without exception.. I built in Sirius Tuner would be nice but I have multiple M/Vs and move it to what I am using... a big advantage..

JM2CW..

Jack

Quick Reply: Sirius Sound Quality