Transmission will not shift into gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=Raoul;4721486] I was just a kid back then. [QUOTE]

A kid who may or may not have occasionaly passed bad checks .....

Sound familiar?

Old 11-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
[QUOTE=LE PEW;4721883][QUOTE=Raoul;4721486] I was just a kid back then.

A kid who may or may not have occasionaly passed bad checks .....

Sound familiar?
Good call LE PEW, I almost forgot that tag Raoul had for years.!!!!

That was before his wife bought all those goats and he got stuck caring for them. Good thing she didn't get elephants!!!!! Wonder if he would have changed his screen name to Mahout?

Old 11-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Won't shift into gear

Originally Posted by sdoming
I am having a problem with the automatic transmission not shifting into gear. I start my 1997 F-150, step on the brake, and attempt to shift. It will not shift into gear. The shifter will not move. This has been a recurring problem. I was recently going to have it towed the next day and I came back the next morning and it shifted. Any similar complaints/solutions? My truck only has 10,000 miles, but the warranty is almost up.
There is a Switch that is on the break pedal. This switch closes and allows the break lights to come on. I bet when it is not shifting the break lights are not coming on as well. You will not be able to put the truck into gear unless the break lights come on. Here are two things you can try. First, turn the ignition on but not all the way to engage the starter, then back it off one click. You will now be able to put your truck into Neutral and start your truck. Just remember you have no break lights. Second, either the micro switch on the break pedal arm has gone bad or the wiring to the switch is bad. Just look under there and locate the Micro switch and see if the wiring looks damaged. If not remove the wiring plug and test between the two spades on the switch for continuity when the break is pressed. You may have to replace that switch. It is about $30 at an auto parts store.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:58 PM
Will Not Shif Into Gear!!

There is a Switch that is on the break pedal. This switch closes and allows the break lights to come on. I bet when it is not shifting the break lights are not coming on as well. You will not be able to put the truck into gear unless the break lights come on. Here are two things you can try. First, turn the ignition on but not all the way to engage the starter, then back it off one click. You will now be able to put your truck into Neutral and start your truck. Just remember you have no break lights. Second, either the micro switch on the break pedal arm has gone bad or the wiring to the switch is bad. Just look under there and locate the Micro switch and see if the wiring looks damaged. If not remove the wiring plug and test between the two spades on the switch for continuity when the break is pressed. You may have to replace that switch. It is about $30 at an auto parts store.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:59 PM

Old 05-26-2012, 10:46 PM
If this is still happening with anyones '97-'03 check for a possible short in the brake light wiring (this includes third brake light in the cap) if there is a short it will blow a fuse that will not let the brake shift interlock do its job. If you fix the short and replace the fuse (check you're manual) you're problem should be solved.

Quick Reply: Transmission will not shift into gear