Please allow Search to look for words 3 letters and greater instead of 5!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2002, 07:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please allow Search to look for words 3 letters and greater instead of 5!

I mean, I'm looking for "Paint Code" and get the ...sorry, code is too small a word! Damn, that is annoying!

Thanks,
Ron

Last edited by RonLariat; 12-01-2007 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-26-2002, 09:21 PM
F150online
Founder
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=64055

Please read the forums before posting a question.

Old 01-26-2002, 10:14 PM

I guess it comes down to whether the search functionality is important or not, since I think it is and 3 gig for indexes (I'm sure it's much bigger since the thread you list was back in '99) is cheap these days, I would put up with a day of non-search functionality so all those wonderful indexes can be rebuilt and frustration levels (at least mine) would go down. Hey, I'd even pitch in and donate a few bucks for the hardware (if needed).

BTW, I did try using wildcards but still get too many hits on irrelevant threads.

Thanks!
Ron

Old 02-06-2002, 11:36 AM
Try to look up FOG lights, DOOR panel, SEAT covers, SUB BOX ect.... that 5 letter limit really sux sometimes. ok many times but what sux even more is no search at all.

Old 02-09-2002, 01:01 AM
Smile Relax folks...

Chill out a little guys... Steve's experiencing some server load issues that he's been trying to resolve. I've been following his progress on another site on this issue.

RonLariat... A little primer in databases for ya... While 3 gigs is penuts these days, it is still HUGE for a database index. 3 gigs on the database itself is nothing, but a 3 gig database index is an eternity, especially for a word search index.

Why is it such a big deal? Quite simple in fact. Since it is an index, and since we're performing a word search it requires a good part of that index to be read and compared. When you're talking a 3 gigabyte index this takes time and CPU horsepower, just try copying a 3gig file and see how long it takes.

Better yet if you are you running windows 98 or later, try searching your hard drive for all files containing "ford truck".. After anywhere from 1-10 minutes (depending on drive size and speed) it should finish. This obviously puts a tremendous strain on the server, especially if there are dozens of people searching at the same time.

The reason Steve went from 3 to 5 words is to cut down on the size of that index to reduce disk overhead. Once he tracks down the problems he'll be able to go back to the 3 word searching again. It just requires patience.

Old 02-10-2002, 06:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

oops,,,98

Last edited by 98SCREAMER; 02-10-2002 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-20-2002, 08:40 AM
Y2K OffRoad:

Thanks, but I don't need a db primer, I've been an active database developer since the early 80s and currently am a developer for a HUGE database company and I write (with others) the ODBC, OLEDB and JDBC drivers for them. We are currently developing a J2EE Connector. BTW, 3gig indexes, while they may be huge are not uncommon these days.

Ron

Quick Reply: Please allow Search to look for words 3 letters and greater instead of 5!