Conflict with MSN?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2001, 11:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Conflict with MSN?

Question about photos in posts... are they no longer allowed? I've not been able to get ANY of mine to come up for a month or so... My photos are hosted through MSN communities... is that the problem? It worked for a long time, just not recently...

Help?

The community is here, and I've been having trouble linking to them...

http://communities.msn.com/gijoecam

Thanx.

-Joe-

Old 09-11-2001, 12:25 AM
F150online
Founder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't recall if MSN was among them, but there were photo hosting providers that could no longer be used after we upgraded to this forum software...but that was almost three months ago. Has this problem happened since that?

The problem stems from the use of certain characters in the address of the photos that can be used maliciously against a server. While we never feel victim to this in the past, I did feel that it was a good idea to take advantage of this feature in the new software for security reasons. Better safe than sorry in this instance will benefit everyone here.

I know that it is nowhere near as feature-rich as MSN, but you could use the F150online Galleries for photos you want to display on the forums. They would load much faster than an external site, so your fellow users may thank you.

Old 09-11-2001, 01:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it may have coincided with their upgrade of the MSN communities site.... nuts! There's no way around it short of transferring all the photos to the f150online gallery? If I were to do that, wwould I be able to put the pix into other sites' posts?

I was hoping to stay with a single external photo hosting site to save the hassle of trying to upload to multiple sites (e.g. Probe pix to the Probe site, F-150 pix to both boards I am a member of, Ranger pix to the Ranger boards, explorer pics to the Explorer board). Is there a free photo hosting site that will work with the new software? I'd prefer to keep them all in one place... with as many sites as I need to reference them to, it'd be a royal pain to keep them all seperated...

Another question... is that a problem with all vBulletin boards or just this one inparticular? It's the security feature that blocks it, right?

-Joe-

Old 09-11-2001, 01:44 AM
F150online
Founder
I know that I have seen some discussion about photo hosting sites in the past few weeks on some of the forums. Try searching the forums on photo AND hosting and see what you come up with.

The problem with any photo hosting site is that if it is large and it is free, it will probably not be around much longer. Zing and Photopoint have proven that the business model does not work with advertising alone.
Another question... is that a problem with all vBulletin boards or just this one inparticular? It's the security feature that blocks it, right?
It's a feature available to all vBulletin administrators, but I don't know how many are using it. I would suspect that more are than are not.

Old 09-14-2001, 11:55 AM
Unhappy

What changes in software were done? I can't get in on my computer. I had no trouble before, and now it looks like it's loading the site but just the banner comes up and stops loading.
I have two computers and they both do the same thing.

Old 09-15-2001, 10:57 PM
MSN used to work, they have changed thier sturucture twice thayt I know of..

One way to test to see if you can link here is to see if the properties of the picture will work in the address line of your browser.
This is the properties of a picture of mine from MSN communities. Unfortunately it wont bring up a valid page if pasted in the address line of a browser, and it wont work here as an img tag.
http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0...Q/MVC-115F.jpg

Doug

Quick Reply: Conflict with MSN?