Quality?????????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Quality?????????????????????

Runs, primer, & ORANGEPEEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 My husband and I bought a new Lariat supercrew, black and silver, all leather, 4*4, with silver stripes and logo in May of this year from a dealer just across the Tn. line. After getting our new, what we thought was going to be a quality truck, home and went to wash it after it had quit raining we found that the whole paint job was totally orangepeeled with the primer showing through a good portion of the truck along with a few runs. We contacted the dealer and Ford Motor Company and requested that they either repaint the whole truck or replace it with another truck. To our disgusted surprise, the representative from Ford said he could have the truck repainted, but wouldn't. Instaed, he has requested that the dealership spot touch our truck and called us whinners. The spot job is not what we paid 30,000+ dollars for when we bought it a few months ago. Not only did it have a poor paint job, the whole truck has a severe amount of measurement gaps from front to back, bumper to bumper. If this is what they call "QUALITY" we will take our business elsewhere next time. This is the third vehicle we have bought from Ford and each experience has been bad. They say all paint jobs on vehicles are orangepeeled, but the only ones that I have seen come from the factory this way have been done by Ford and believe me I have looked. Would you want a NEW Ford Lariat to look this way????? Everyone that has seen our truck has noticed the way it looks.

Old 08-30-2002, 09:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't you bother to look the truck over before throwing down 30K? I always take about 10-20 minutes looking over mine to make sure there are no scratches/dings, etc. before I even test drive it. As for the body gaps, it's a Ford truck, not a Lexus. Black is the WORST color to have on any vehicle. I've seen orange peel on $100K Porsche 911's before. In short, make them repaint it. Keep in mind it doesn't do ANY good to get hot at the Ford reps. I know from past experience.

Old 08-31-2002, 01:17 AM
Ford is not BMW, Audi or Mercedes Benz. I think you're just here to whine because you made the mistake of not thoroughly inspecting your truck before signing.

All of the dark colors will show orange peel. If it's as bad as you say, get the dealer to repaint it. They are legally obligated and will do so if you insist. Their body shop will do a better job with the repaint than the factory did and you will lose most of the orange peel look.

Last edited by AjRagno; 08-31-2002 at 02:08 AM.
Old 08-31-2002, 02:08 PM
It's really disappointing to read such stupid comments as those last two -- especially on a message board whose prime intent is to get together and share experiences relating to a common theme (in this case, product).

It's always the first wash and hand wax that cements the bond of owner with truck -- and it is truly disappointing when you find that your new baby is really as ugly as everyone else thinks.

Owners here on this board report quality problems daily by the dozens -- and most of the postings are supportive or even helpful in nature and intent -- with some very childish and hurtful people lurking and pouncing from time to time.

You have just been pounced by a couple.

Your paint issue reminds me of my own situation with a Suburban, in which the roof was obviously not cleaned (dusted) prior to painting -- and it had a few pieces of what looked like sand under the paint.

At my request, the dealer repainted it without hesitation. It looked great for a few years -- but the last 10 years I had it, the roof looked like the desert salt flats -- due to the crazing and cracking and hazing of the paint -- which obviously wasn't up to even the standards of the initial paint job.

While the truck is not up to your standards, sleep on it for a couple of weeks, and consider that the cure might be worse than the disease.

Ford will start to get the message as you and others cease being repeat customers.

By the way,

Welcome to the message boards -- stick around -- and you may find something of interest -- and even some really helpful people.

Happy Holiday

(Now, go enjoy some cheeze with that wine - you deserve it )

Old 08-31-2002, 11:40 PM
Too bad you have such bad problems I had a few spots on my 96 Mustang GT that peeled mostly by the tag area in the back and a little by the spoiler it was Moonlight blue in color as far as my truck no paint problems yet and its almost 3 years old as far as build date I hope you get your problem fixed soon.

Old 09-03-2002, 11:00 PM
Angry Another bad experience

To take a note on other bad experiences we have had with Ford goes back to 1989 when my husband bought a new Mustang GT. The front wheels were scrubbing, so he took it back to the dealer to get them to fix the problem. They fixed it alright, they cut the spoilers out with a jig saw. That's what they called fixing it. So when he got his Mustang back, the front part of the front spoilers were gone. Great depreciation value when they got done.

Old 09-03-2002, 11:06 PM
Exclamation Fix My Truck

All we want is for Ford to have our truck fixed right. My husband cut his teeth on a chevy, went to a ford, and says by the time he grows old he'll have to go back to a chevy just to be able to pull his teeth.

Old 09-05-2002, 12:12 PM
Trade it back to them

No body shop on earth can paint a vehicle and make it as durable as the factory paint. sure it may look "wetter" due to color sanding and buffing, but the durability is just not the same, it may look great for a few years, but eventually it will fade, crack, peel whatever.

In your case..I would simply trade it in on another...now its THEIR problem

and make sure you check the new one out real good!

Old 02-28-2003, 06:20 AM
That is terrible, trinia27! What dealership was this, and are all of your experiences with the same dealer?

Old 02-28-2003, 10:26 AM
Exclamation For Trina27

Let me apologize for the rude comments of those 2 pea brained morons. Just shos ya some people have no class. Welcome to the boards and be assured you will meet many nice people here.

As for your problem, if the Ford area rep won't help you, go higher. Everyone has a boss, and the higher they are on the totem pole, the less they like to hear bad things about their product. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Good luck to you.

Old 03-05-2003, 04:34 PM
Thumbs up

Keep trying. Do not settle for anything less than a complete repainting. Make sure your truck is taken to a qualified body shop with the right tools to do a factory job.
My "87 F150 paint started peeling after 3 years. It was not as bad as some, but bad enough to cause me a problem. The first few times I called and wrote Ford, they tolds me they could do nothing. I did not give up, even going as far as writing a letter to the chairman of the board of Ford. They eventually gave me a quality paint job plus repaired a number of maintenance issues I had. That was 10years ago and my paint still looks good. Clear coating the paint is one of the most important parts of the paint job. Make sure dealer clear coats pait job. In all Ford spent over $3,000 on my truck. DO NOT give up. If you are persistent, Ford will come through.

Mike

Last edited by m7j2g6; 03-05-2003 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:46 PM
Let me give a little insight as to what can go on at the factory. I worked at the Michigan Truck Plant in the paint shop, both as a paint supervisor and as a paint supplier rep.

You may have a truck which was repainted, due to a defect when the truck was painted the first time. This will create orange peel. A truck can paint up to three times and still be considered within specs. With that in mind you have a tutone truck. This means the upper color was painted first. There could have been a defect which caused the truck to be repainted. To get the lower accent color applied the truck is masked off and the lower color is applied. I have seen truck which had to have the lower portion done over again. So it is possible that your truck could have had the upper portion painted 3 times, and the lower painted 2 times. Generally the accent color only takes 1 time to paint.

Now your truck has gone through the assembly process. It could have had damage done to the paint which needed to be repaired. Your truck may have been panel repaired. This would be another paint job done in the pre-delivery area of the plant. Does your orange peel seem to be only 1 panel, or over the entire vehicle?

I can tell you that the squeeky wheel does get the grease. I had to oversee many parts that were getting shipped to a dealership to satisfy a customer. Continue to complain until you are satisfied. As was posted, everyone has a boss. Keep going up the ladder. You can get another truck if you complain enough. Just remember to stay level headed.

Old 03-09-2003, 12:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I say keep going after them until you get a new truck or a big discount on this one that you have.

Old 03-10-2003, 01:27 PM
Hi....Seems this should be a dead issue because-

I kinda think the original complaint is bogus No new update. Remembering this is a public forum. May/maynot have happened? No one asked... JMO!

Good luck...OT

Old 04-04-2003, 07:19 PM
Yea old timer , u r right..

Quick Reply: Quality?????????????????????