Regular Cab/Super Cab

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-1999, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Regular Cab/Super Cab

With 34695 miles on the odometer and several more to go, I wanted to hear some long haul stories. As many of you know, I have a 1997 Flareside ORP with the 4.6. I live in Pa but my home is SC, so I go on at least one jaunt a year back to the homeland.

One thing I dont like, and the main reason for this post, is the regular cab on long trips. I feel a little claustrophobic and theres no room to throw my hat, coat, etc behind me (it just bounces off the glass). The seats are great and very comfortable even after 575 miles and 11 hours of driving. The 4.6 I feel is perfectly mated to this body style, enough guts to get around people and get up to speed and yet quiet enough for me to wonder, "Is the truck running?".

In a few years I plan on getting a super cab, if one of the new SUV's ford is coming out with doesn't catch my eye first. Id like to hear from Regular Cab and Super Cab owners on there long haul stories good and bad, be sure to mention what engine. Thanks!

------------------
The Truck: 1997 Black F-150 Flareside. Regular Cab ORP and Towing Package
The Mods: K&N Filter, Eurolid Hard Tonneau and Ford Bug Deflector.
The Site:
Triton's 4.6 Liter Web Page
www.mindspring.com/~acbradley/index.html

Old 07-07-1999, 03:15 PM
Cool

Triton: Well the supercab will certainly give you more room than the regcab. We make trips in mine from Wilmington NC to Detroit. I bet we pass each other on our trips I've got the 60/40 split bench in the back so one kid can sleep while the other still has a reg. seat. Or I put them both flat and pile on blankets and my husband crawls back there and sleeps. If both seats are up then I can put a small cooler back there between them and we're all set to travel. It does get cramped when the dog wants to come too. Also don't forget that in 2000 there's supposed to be a F150 Super Crew. I've gotten a picture of it and looks like 1/2 foot in length has been added to the back seat. The way I get this is it says the overall wheelbase length is the same as the Ford F150 SuperCab but it has a 5 1/2 foot bed. Go to the Ford dealer and bug them until they show you something. Worked for me. (tk info in sig)

------------------
97F150 XLT SC 4x4 Flairside 4.6 V8 5sp Dk Toreador Red, 3.55LS
ARE tonneau cover, p255/70rx16 tires (came w/235), Superchip
Pioneer CD w/4 Polk Speakers & Clarion APA5240amp, skid plates
bed liner, side window deflectors, reese hitch, K&N air filter
40s-2chamber Flowmaster, Bosch +4 spark plugs, rustproofing
Better Built Stainless nerf bars

Old 07-08-1999, 02:35 PM
Talking

The supercab is very useful I think. Groceries fit nicely in the rear cab, its kinda comfortable to sit in, etc. I think they look more cool also! I think my truck is more comfortable than my 99' Plymouth Grand Voyager SE with the 3.3 Liter V6!

------------------
1999 Ford F150 XLT 4x2, Cloth Seats, Amazon green, 16" All season tires, Soft Tonneau Cover, CD Player, 4.6 liter Triton V8, 3:55 ls, towing package, 4 speed auto, K&N Airfilter, soon Superchip and K&N GEN II.

Fast46Triton

The Terminator!

Old 07-08-1999, 08:59 PM
Triton46,
I only have 1,000 miles on my SC but it rides like a luxo car. I have not been on a long trip but the short 75 mile one way trips are great. The truck has plenty of power and the rear seat is great for a few friends or the family. I am 6' and I rode in the back seat for 50 plus miles with no problems ( ok, I could have used a little more leg room). My knees never touched the seat in front of me ( bucket seats ).
P.S. Where in SC are you from?

------------------
99 XLT SC, 4.6 L,MacNeil Window Deflectors, Ford-Duraliner Bedliner, K&N Filter
Family Hauler

Old 07-09-1999, 08:27 AM
Talking

OrangeburgFord,

Well let me guess where youre from....Orangeburg, SC. Its a gift...Im psychic.

Im from Sumter, SC. Went to college at USC in Columbia then moved up here to Pa. Are you still in Orangeburg?

------------------
The Site:

Old 07-10-1999, 12:21 AM
Triton46,
Yes I am still living in Orangeburg. I have been through Sumter a few times ( Especially since I brought a 94 Dodge Ram from Sumter Dodge- Traded the Dodge for my new Ford)

------------------
99 XLT SC, 4.6 L,MacNeil Window Deflectors, Ford-Duraliner Bedliner, K&N Filter
Family Hauler

Old 07-10-1999, 07:49 PM
Wink

Well I have the supercab, and I love the fact that I have the extra room. Good for when I go back and forth to Oklahoma, plenty of room for all my stuff, clothes etc... Plus, room to sleep if you want, and good for when all my friends wanna ride. I will own a supercab truck for a long time.

------------------
Mudder, Black 98 F-150 4x4 0RP 5.4 s/c, Magnum bug shield,Grizzly
roll bar,4 KC lights,2 Baja lights, Manik grill guard,Westin step bars,Sonic aluminum treadplate 36" tool box, Flowmaster dual exhaust, K/N air filter, 265/75/16 BFG AT/s, American Racing Baja wheels and a F150 Online sticker. More to come for the Attention Getter: Ramsey winch, 2 more KC lights, Rancho shocks. If you would like to see pics, email me at eegmkg@gateway.net

[This message has been edited by mudder (edited 07-10-1999).]

Trending Topics

Old 07-12-1999, 01:21 PM
Lee
Thumbs up

The SC 4 door is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It has emininated the need for a locking tool box taking up part of the room in the bed. Running errands for the wife is a breeze, picking this up here and picking that up there. It is so easy to fold the seat down an haul some nasty houseplant stuff without having to worry about the seat cushion getting nasty. It is great to haul the grand children. My daughter always wants to use the truck to go to garage sales, likes it better than her van because of the convenience of being able to haul nice stuff and nasty stuff in the same trip.

------------------
99 XL SC 4.2 3.31 automatic

[This message has been edited by Lee (edited 07-12-1999).]

Old 07-12-1999, 02:13 PM
Looking for a sharp six-passenger vehicle with a 5-speed manual transmission? You're SOL in the car world, folks. That's why I bought my SuperCab. Fits me, my wife and my four kids fine. My wife loves to drive it. Ya, there's some bitching from my teenage son, especially if he sits directly behind me (I'm 6 ft 2 in.), but not near enough to make me buy a mini-van.

------------------
1998 XL SC short-box 4.2 5-speed 3.55LS, Pacific Green, A/C, factory box liner, factory dark tinted rear glass (like the XLT), cassette, carpet, Canadian XLS package (split bench, chrome wheels, side mouldings, box light, tailgate lock), sill guards, Windstar (driver's) wiper blade (the one with the air scoop). Oh ya: snazzy Tweetie Bird floor mats.

Old 07-21-1999, 02:54 PM
This is my 2nd F150 SC. The first was a 97 lariat 4X4, loaded it was! I sold that for a 96 corvette collector edition, now I am back with a 99 f150 SC XLT 4X4 and I can tell you this, each one of those vehicles has made about a 600 mile one way trip up north to Canada and the F150 was more comfortable then the vette (suspension made from lava rock!).

The extended cab was useful for luggage, and I regularly fold over the seats in the back for added convienience. The lariat had leather, and I actually prefer the cloth seats in the XLT. The back seat is actually comfortable, and has plenty of room for adults. The two rear "suicide" doors are awesome! the 97 only had one of those, behind the passenger door which was a pain to walk around the truck to drop in bags, with both, its awesome!

'99 F150, SB, SC, XLT, ORP, 5.4L, Rhino, K&N, I also added those little round mirrors that let you see the blind spots.

[This message has been edited by cloaker (edited 07-21-1999).]

Old 07-21-1999, 05:15 PM
Thumbs up

Well Triton46, I don't have a new Ford but I do have the Supercab. It is a '94 F-150 Long Box and I owned a '87 F-150 Regular cab, Long box before. Let me tell you, I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO A REGULAR CAB AGAIN !!! I haven't went on too many long trips but in the past three months that I have owned the '94. I have more than enjoyed the extra room while running errands. Oh, and there is a lot of extra room for stereo equipment !! Trust me, once you go to a Supercab and you will never go back !! Just like Ford trucks, once you buy a Ford, you will never go back !!

Have Fun & Keep on Truckin'
Dean

------------------
1994 F-150 XLT Supercab, Long Box, 302 EFI, Automatic, Royal Blue in and out, Captain Chairs. Chrome Rims 15x8's, Michelin LTX M/S 105S 235/75R15 (Summer), OEM Aluminum Rims 15x8's, Michelin LTX M/S 108S (Winter), Lightly Tinted, Soft Tonneau Cover, Ford Receiver Hitch Cover & Lock, Alpine CDM-7829 Head Unit, PPI 4800 Amplifier, Kicker 10" Solo Baric Sub with Custom Box and Kicker Impulse 6.1 Mid & Tweets.

[This message has been edited by IzzyEddy (edited 07-21-1999).]

Old 07-22-1999, 08:33 AM
Talking

Hey, thanks for all the responses! Im sold, when I trade in a couple of years Im going supercab. I enjoy the peppiness of my regular cab, but given the extra room I will gladly sacrifice....or maybe get a 5.4.

------------------
The Site:

Old 07-22-1999, 11:17 AM
Banned
this post intentionally left blank

[This message has been edited by Ford man (edited 11-14-1999).]

Old 07-23-1999, 12:20 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm with you Ford man.
I can fit all my friends in the cab at the same time.
Everyone else, get in the back!

------------------
99 Lariat R/C 2WD 120"WB 5.4 3.55LS Tow Dark Toreador/Gold Line-X
raoul_oba@hotmail.com

Old 07-25-1999, 05:33 PM
Triton46: I owned a 94 Splash S/C 4x2, then a 98 F150 S/C 4x4. Loved the room and flexability of the supercab. Highly recommend them. My 99.5 Lightning is the ONLY reason for going back to the regular cab. If they made a Supercab Lightning I would be the first in line.

------------------
Red 99.5 Lightning SuperChip (on the way)

Quick Reply: Regular Cab/Super Cab