Pre-1997 Models

High Flow Fuel Pumps

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question High Flow Fuel Pumps

Does anyone out there know a source for in-tank replacement fuel pumps for F150's, I can get them for my Mustangs all day long but have had no luck for the truck. I have dual tanks and don't really want to have to go with aftermarket in-line pumps unless I have no other choice. I have been told my stock pumps are 90lph, I am installing a 327 stroker and want to make sure the engine doesn't go lean from lack of supply. I would like to get 155lph pumps at least. I will be stepping up to 24# injectors and a 75mm bullet mass air meter. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated, this is the only part of my new drive train puzzle I haven't found yet. HELP!!!

Old 11-11-2002, 05:28 PM
What year is your truck? Some have 2 in tank low pressure pumps and one frame mounted (below driver) high pressure. The later models have 2 in tank high pressure pumps.

Im not sure about the high pressure in tank pumps. I think you would have to replace both with a high volume pump like one for a mustang.

The low pressure in tank pumps should put out about 130 LPH and the frame mounted high pressure will only put out 80 LPH.

I think I've heard somebody here did this, but you might put in one high volume setup for one tank and leave the other stock. Only use the stock pump when your foot isn't in it (ie on the way to the track) and the high volume at the track.

Somebody will be along that knows where to get upgrades.

Old 11-11-2002, 09:55 PM
It's a 93, and yes I'm doing mass air conversion if you are wondering. As far as I can tell I have the two in-tank pumps only, I do not recall seeing anything else between the fuel fllter and the engine. Someone had suggested that Mustang in-tank pumps would work with some possible wiring mods required but I am skepticle because the tank configurations are different so the pick-ups can't be compatible. The motor I'm building is going to be in the 250hp range, so I know I have to go to 24# injectors, 19's are cutting it too close (It's a torque biased build, 360ft-lb est.). I'm just not sure if the stock pumps will get the job done and I know from my Mustang experience the pumps should be upgraded. I'm not willing to roll the dice on my $3000+ investment. Maybe if one of the guys with a supercharged truck finds this, they could tell me what they did, because I know they need extra fuel capacity.

Old 11-11-2002, 10:56 PM
I would give Mike T (Superchips_Distributor) a call, he can hook you up with the 190lph in tank fuel pump that comes with the latemodels F-150 Magnacharger Supercharge kit for something like $100. Its worth a shot. Plus you might want to look into a chip and pass some of your ideas by him Good Luck

Old 11-11-2002, 11:52 PM
The stock fuel pumps put out 105 LPH @ 39 PSI, about enough for 300 HP @ 90% duty cycle.

Eight 19# injectors provide enough fuel for about 243 HP at 80% duty cycle or 274 HP @ 90%.

For a buildup as mild as you are planning, you don't need to change a thing.

Old 11-12-2002, 05:38 PM
Hey thanks for the info Beastie and StrangeRanger. My engine builder (Walter at Central Coast Mustangs) agrees that 19# injectors will probably be fine, I have just always subscribed to the "better safe than toasted" ideology. He said the efficiency factor for the GT40P heads I'm using is actually better than .50, actually more like .43-.45, so the 19's have a better chance without having to exceed 80% duty cycle. His recommendation was to wide band dyno after break in and get air-fuel ratio readings, if it's leaning out above 45-4800rpm, go to 24's, if not leave it alone, sounds like a plan to me. Well at least I feel a little better about it and have someone to go to for pumps, thanks again.

Old 11-12-2002, 07:26 PM
FWIW I ran 24# injectors off a 110 LPH pump in my built up 5.0 Mustang. At that time it dynoed about 270 RWHP or something around 320 flywheel. In it's more recent incarnation (better heads) I've stepped up to a 155 LPH pump and still with the 24s I'm getting 290 RWHP or around 345 flywheel. Never had a lean condition in either setup.

At 250 flywheel you're more than covered for the pump. If you lean out a little at revs, get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and bump the pressure up till it balances. It's a whole lot cheaper than new injectors and will work just as well for a small increase. Don't go for a big pressure gain though because your pump thruput will drop as pressure increases.

Quick Reply: High Flow Fuel Pumps