Pre-1997 Models

Replacing Body Panels. Need some Assistance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Body Panels. Need some Assistance.

Allright, instead of using Bondo, or welding metal to rust areas and troublesome spots, I've found some donor trucks. The first of my questions deal with removing fenders and such. I can see where they bolt on, but it also looks like they're spot welded. How do I remove the fenders? The doors, I can do, along with the hood.

The second series of questions deals with what trucks are "compatable" donors. I have a 1988 F-150 XL. Can I use parts from 92-96 F-150's? Say fenders? Or an 8 foot bed from those years? Any and all input would very very much help me. I plan on using my digital camera to document the whole process for future reference and putting pictures on the web. Once again, thanks for the help!

Old 05-16-2002, 06:32 PM
you can use a bed from 87-96 . as far as the front fenders go to be able to use some off a 92-96 you'd have to change the whole front clip including core support. 87-91 fenders are just a bolt on deal . there is a couple spot welds need to be cut out . (some tool mags have spot weld cutters )

Old 05-19-2002, 10:30 AM
A buddy of mine is getting rid of his '89 E-150 cargo van. (His buisness went under and he only wants $100 for the thing and it's in great condition!) Will the fenders and doors from the van work on the pick-up?

And about those spot welds, I can use a Dremel or something to take them off, but, when I put the new sheet metal on, I'm going to have to spot weld them like the old ones aren't I?

Old 05-24-2002, 10:03 PM
NO THE VAN PARTS WON'T WORK. YOU DON'T HAVE TO SPOT WELD EM AGAIN, i have seen them work fine without the welds.

curt

Quick Reply: Replacing Body Panels. Need some Assistance.