Pre-1997 Models

timing question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bump

sorry to bump it to top but I was hoping to do my timing this weekend. Please see above questions.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 04-12-2002, 03:34 PM
"Ok, I need some help here. I have a timing gun but I can't find the timing marker. It's been a while since I've messed with timing but I thought the marker would be on/near the crankshaft pulley. Right? I have a 94 351w, can anyone tell me where the timing mark is? I have the serpentine (sp?) belt and you almost can't see the crank pulley except from just off center to the left standing at the front of the engine and looking down. So many other pulleys.

Also, which direction do I turn the distributor to advance the timing? Clockwise or counter-clockwise? "

The marks are on the crank damper, not on a pulley. Get some fine sandpaper and sand the surface of the damper to make the marks nice and shiney, it will inevitably have surface rust, black paint, oil or all of the above on it making it hard to see w/o cleaning it. To spin the crank put the vehicle in neutral, use a 15/16" 1/2" drive socket on a 4" extension and turn over the engine until you can lay on your back and see the relevant marks and sand them. Use a permanent marker and make a line across the 10 degree and 20 degree mark. Now when you shoot your light down there at the timing marker you'll see the relevant area you want to set your timing between at an easy glance.

You will have to bend, lean and crane from the top to point your light at the mark but you can do it. Which way do you turn the distributor: I never remember, I watch the light/timing marks as I turn it. My guess from what I remember is clockwise reduces total timing but I'm only 60% sure so counter advances timing.

Jerry

Old 04-12-2002, 03:38 PM
Just reread your question..

I think your asking about the pointer only: if your looking at your crank damper from the front of the engine, it would be in the 11 O'Clock position. Sorry if I was off base on the first reply. Good Luck!

Old 04-12-2002, 06:09 PM
For Ford V8's (302, 351, 460):

Turning the distributor Clockwise Advances the timing.

Turning the distributor Counterclockwise Retards the timing.

For the 300 (4.9L), it's the opposite.

Take care,
-Chris

Old 04-12-2002, 08:17 PM
- Guess I'm not buying a lotto ticket this month

Old 04-12-2002, 08:48 PM
I usually crawl underneith the truck, see if I can see the marks on the damper(click the starter until you can), use chalk and rubb into the marks. Then go on top, hook up the light, disconnect spout, slightly loosen dist. hold down bolt, and start eng.

Take note of where timing is, loosen nut a tiny more, adjust ever so slowly (it changes quick), get to where you want it, snug bolt, shut engine off, tighten completely, connect spout. Enjoy

Old 04-13-2002, 02:57 AM
Good point on the chalk. I used to put a line of white paint on the marks but that it a PITA. Talcum powder works well also, and you can rub it into the marks with a paper towel.

The problem is getting the right angle with the timing light. On my truck I have to hold the light up near the idler puller of the tensioner and get the angle just right.

If you have a dial type light, do it both ways. Sometimes it is easier to read the "0" line, so you can dial in the advance on the light.

Old 04-13-2002, 03:43 PM
just spray some paint on it . then sand the face on it and it leaves the paint in all the markings making them very easy to see :-)

Quick Reply: timing question