Pre-1997 Models

302 engine idle up, down,up,down

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by PKRWUD
Buckshot-
99% of the time both 31 and 32 come up, the EVP is faulty. There is an easy way to verify this. Disconnect the electrical harness connector at the EVP sensor, and insert a jumper wire between the two brown wires (brown/lt green & brown/white) in the connector on the harness side. Then rerun the KOEO test, and watch for a code 35. Ignore all other codes. If a code 35 shows up, the EVP is bad, and must be replaced.

Take care,
-Chris

Old 02-24-2002, 09:13 PM
Yeah, I'll visit my friendly dealer and get the right part this time.

You guys have been great!

Brent

Old 02-24-2002, 09:39 PM
clear the codes again after installing it and then drive the truck . then re check the codes .

Old 02-24-2002, 09:46 PM
OK-I was thinking of how I can get around 29 vehicle speed senser not working-unhook battery-do KOEO test-hopefully after this no other codes then do KOER(feels like I'm hackin' Blue's computer) What do ya think?

Old 02-24-2002, 10:10 PM
unhook battery then turn lights on for ten minutes. turn lights off reconnect battery ,well to get around that code coming up instead of driving the truck just start it and let it run abit . then do koeo. if code 11 comes up twice then you can do koer. when doin koer test since it is a v-8 the scanner will flash 4 times to tell you it is a 8 cyl. then it will idle up and down a bit . after a minute or two it will start flashing codes . you will get code 77 and code 52 during koer . this is normal . 77 is operator error .(you didnt give it WOT) and 52 is power steering pressure switch (you didnt turn the steering wheel 1/4 turn and hold it during the test) if that is all the codes you get then it is ok. if your truck still runs bad let me know .

Old 02-25-2002, 07:23 PM
Hi Guys

Replaced the EVP tonite and tested-only code 11-11-Good Deal

Test drove, doesn't seem to backfire thru intake anymore but still running rough on lower rpm's.

Checked KOER-only 77 and52 came up-Whoa-Huy

Took the liberty of trying Cylinder balance test,but couldn't get anything-not even 9 or anything.

Right now I have the battery disconnected w/headlight switch on, After supper were goin for grocerys-another test drive.

I wonder if EGR valve needs cleaning or somethin' ?

Old 02-25-2002, 08:17 PM
good deal let me know how the drive goes .

Old 02-25-2002, 09:41 PM
Hi Guys

No more codes-but will still backfire thru intake (much less though) still shudders-lacking power until it hits its powerband, and then takes off.

When I start it,engine used to rev up and come down slowly in increments but now it revs up for a second, then settles right down to about 600-700 RPM.I think it used to do this when new, but I forget when it ran the other way for so long.

Its done this backfiring thing since Christmas, I wonder if it would bugger up something else-If no electronic problems stored, I wonder what else externally could be screwed up-Maybe EGR dirty and sticking?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Old 02-25-2002, 10:16 PM
if the egr was sticking the new evp would give that info to the ecm and you'd see a code for it . i am thinking it is the MAP sensor like mine was but lets wait for chris to confirm this .

Old 02-26-2002, 12:06 AM
You guys are cool.

i would try replacing the MAP sensor. It is very difficult to diagnose without the proper tools, and can generate symptoms similar to other failed devices.

Take care,
-Chris

Old 02-26-2002, 09:49 PM
Tryed a new MAP senser(also unhooked battery) tonight-only minimal improvement if any.

Would low fuel pressure be picked up on electronics-both tanks rotted out-been awhile since I replaced fuel filter-also still needs fuel tank recall repaired for where fuel pumped out of front tank gets returned to rear tank and pumps your gas out on the ground, once rear tank full Also rear fuel pump is noisey

Too tired to do anymore tonight

"If its got **** or tires, sooner or later, its gonna give ya trouble"

Old 02-27-2002, 08:47 PM
Low fuel pressure wouldn't trip a code by itself, but the effects it has would. If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge, try and borrow one. Alot can be learned with one. Let me know when you've got one, and I'll guide you through it.

Take care,
-Chris

Old 03-12-2002, 01:43 PM
Hi Guys

Its been awhile but the plot has thickened. A Ford troubleshooter said to check the catalytic converter if problem is lessened when engine is cold. Just came back from Midas and they said cat conv is shot because they can hear it rattling.

They didn't have stock but I guess its got to be done. I'll post in a couple of days and report back. Anyone have similar experiences??

Quick Reply: 302 engine idle up, down,up,down