Pre-1997 Models

1996 F-150 XLT clicking noise

Old 03-22-2019, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 F-150 XLT clicking noise

Okay, background. First, my truck was a farm truck that was then driven long distance daily for about a year before I bought it. There is a lot of work for me to do but the engine and tranny are both good. Shocks are shot, my rear passenger leaf spring recently shed itself of a couple half-layers, and there are a couple leaks to deal with including power steering, coolant and oil gasket.

Now, on to the reason I am posting. I recently noticed a clicking noise from under the truck. It is intermittent, only when slow and hot, I can feel it through the floor (I can also feel my wipers moving so that's not a huge deal) and it is definitely not the engine (whew!). At first I thought it was coming from up front but today I was finally able to drive around with the windows down and it has been clicking all day! They were down yesterday and it was quiet, though I drove about two hours, but today not so much. Started right after lunch and hasn't stopped since. It is coming from the rear, sounds like drivers side, and only clicks when I am moving. Sometimes there is one click briefly just putting it in drive or reverse, but not always. For a moment it was loud and forceful, like if you were trying to scream but all that came out was the sound of bicycle cards stuck in wheel spokes. Other than that one moment, it has been almost rhythmic, but not continuous. More like brief pauses. For a while it would stop when I would go over 10mph but after work I hit a residential road to run an errand and had to turn around because it decided to follow me. Seriously does sound like a card in a bicycle wheel, though.

I have reached around the rear wheels, felt along the drum brakes, looked for loose metal, etc, so unless I missed something I may need some guidance. I tried to jack it up and spin them but my jack doesn't raise it enough to get the jack stands to the necessary level. Ready to take it in somewhere but hoping to get some guidance and do it myself.

Cheers, all.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:24 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Check your u-joints.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:35 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Is it as long wheelbase? If so maybe it has a swinger bearing that should be checked.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:50 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
driveshaft center support bearing is the right name for it.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks

I will check the support bearing.

Took it in to Firestone (time and paranoia we're contributing factors here) and they said u-joints. Wasn't sure exactly what i was looking for but will be able to fix it. Actually have two guys ready to help if need be. Thanks to y'all for tipping me off, I will provide an update on results.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 F-150 XLT clicking noise