Pre-1997 Models

302 to 351 transplant

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
302 to 351 transplant

hey everyone
i have a 89 f150 4x4 with a 302 and AOD. it lifted 4" with 35's, stock gearing.
I bought this truck just over 3 years ago with the plan to use as a hunting/camping truck. Shortly after i bought it i found out it had low oil pressure after running. Hooked up a mechanical oil pressure gauge and after about a hour and driving the oil pressure would drop below 5 lbs when it would idle. i started buying the parts to rebuild the motor, I.E. seals, oil pump and then was gonna do the main bearings and regear to 4.10 to help with the lift and tires. i never got around to pulling the motor. A friend of mine just picked up a 95 f150 so he is willing to sell me his 92 with a 351 and E4OD. The plan is to swap my running gear into his truck and take his better drivetrain and throw it under mine. i plan on rebuilding both motors so i can resell his truck and recoup the money for buying the truck and rebuilding them.
With all that being said, is there anything you guys can recommend i do while the motor is out? Timing Chain, oil pump, bearings? etc? he said the head gaskets had been done less than 2 years ago but im not sure what all was done when it was done. i dont plan on doing anything like a cam or anything like that with it still being speed density. I know there is alot of argument on whether to pull smog and EGR but that is my plan simply becuase id rather not deal with it and i dont have emissions in my state and its mainly to go hunting/fishing/camping etc. its not a daily. i just want something reliable thats not gonna leave me stranded and be able to pull a cargo trailer if need be.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If his truck is still running you can check the oil pressure with a real gauge to give you an idea of the bearing/ oil pump condition. But if it's not rattling and banging it's probably fine for what you're going to use it for - bearings are a pretty big job, the crank should be turned, and if it's ok now I'd just leave them alone.
New timing chain is always a good idea because they stretch and new gaskets everywhere is fairly easy while the motor is out - definitely a good time for an oil pan gasket.

Quick Reply: 302 to 351 transplant