Pre-1997 Models

92 won't start after checking codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 won't start after checking codes

Took it down to the tranny shop to see why it was slipping out of 3rd. After they checked the codes, it will crank but not start. What do you think, did they short something out? Please, your thoughts, sure seems like a suspicious coincidence.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:24 PM
First off, most of these guys including myself need some details about your truck. I see it's a 1992, you don't specify if it's an F150? what trim is it, what motor is in it? 2 or 4 wheel drive, what transmission? Did you check your fuses, battery connections, anything?

Old 11-12-2016, 08:35 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
A problem with the tranny slipping out of gear? They should have done a lot more than just check codes!

" seems like a suspicious coincidence"

I would say so. What did they do or say?

There's way too little information here to even guess why it didn't start. Did you pull off a spark plug wire to see if it had spark? Did you try giving it a shot of starting fluid?

Old 11-15-2016, 04:08 AM
Sorry guys, been out of town. Going to check it out for the first time tomorrow. The truck is a 4x4 reg.cab F150 , 133000mi 5.0V8, OD on the gear shift. Going to check spark, fuses etc in the morning. The story is, after I left it with them after we had a test drive and they felt the tranny acting up (thats why I took it to them), I left it and they ran the codes. After that they were going to take it into the shop area to drop the pan and it would crank but not start. This guy insist they did no wrong. Could they have wiped out the brain, scrambled the eggs? I don't know what codes they found but I know it was starting fine when I brought it there, heck, it started fine when he came out to test drive it. I don't get it!

Old 11-15-2016, 10:07 AM
I would look at the fuses related to the ignition circuit and the ECM, I'm not as familiar with your vintage of Ford.
However, I had a 92 GM that was running and quit because it blew one of the Engine Management Computer (ecm) fuses. What caused it was a wire to one of the injectors was pinched in the air cleaner assembly and shorted to ground. It was literally running fine one minute and quit.
I started my diagnosis after I discovered which fuse had blown. After replacing it and it immediately blowing again I asked myself what is connected to this circuit and proceeded to look at the wire diagram to narrow down which wires and components I would need to look at.
After determining the fuel injectors were in the circuit I started with them because I knew where they were and could trace the wires back from there.
Upon opening the hood I looked at the wires with the air cleaner on, nothing. So I popped the AirC off, didn't notice anything until I removed the collar under the bottom of the AirC, one of the 4 wires had managed to get squeezed between it and the base of the TBI after enough engine vibration the insulation wore through and pop went the fuse.
My other question is, are you still getting fuel? no fuel no bang either.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:48 PM
OK Got it figured out... I think. Checked spark..no spark when turning it over but saw a few sparks after release into run position. Hum..did this a few times to verify. I suspected the ignition switch so I cycled it a few times and also notice that the BIG guy that test drives the truck before it quit, adjusted the steering wheel. After I fussed with the ignition switch it started right up. I assume it is the switch or some rod extension that Ford said is in the column. I do know that I have had a problem before all this with the ignition switch because sometimes I could remove the key while it was still running. Also, could start it without the key, but never had it not start. Brought it home today and it started up 4 times in a row. I know I have a switch problem but don't know if it is the key switch or some rod/column/switch problem. Any help please!

Old 11-16-2016, 06:33 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Good. You're narrowing down the problem.

I'm no expert on the vintage but before replacing the switch, try this: The F-150s are known for wires in the steering column being TOO short and that causes the wires to rub on various mechanical parts and wearing a hole through the insulation and shorting out. Also the same thing sometimes causes the metal contacts to pull out out of the connector shells in the steering column. Also the contacts starting to separate frequently causes arcing and over heating of the contacts and melted plastic connector shells. I would look over the entire wiring harness in the steering column CAREFULLY. Check the connectors for any sign of melting, burning or brown areas. If you don't find anything pull the connectors apart and check the contacts but make sure that you take them apart correctly and don't break them!

Old 11-17-2016, 10:01 AM
Manram, here is a link to a thread that contains several pictures of a steering column showing where the "rod" in question is, and what it looks like. You may find it helpful even though it's a few year older truck, it should be very similar

https://www.f150online.com/forums/pr...-ignition.html