Pre-1997 Models

Vacuum lines replacements -- howto?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vacuum lines replacements -- howto?

1995 f150, 5.0 EFI 2WD

Hi guys,
I'd like to change my vacuum lines on my 8cyl. Something I wanna learn how to do and I think it's a good cheap way of stopping anything that may be leaking. And it won't break the bank. I'm looking for tips and pointers and any starters that I can learn from you guys. I came across something briefly called a "vacuum tree". What is it and do I have one on my engine?

Or are vacuum lines more like take one out, measure, replace.

Are there common sizes for my year/make/engine that I can get?

Also, this is a dumb question...how do I know which is a vacuum line and which ones have liquid in them? One of my friend's said "if it has a clamp on it, it's NOT a vacuum line". Would this be true in my case?

Old 09-09-2015, 10:47 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My first advice is: if it ain't broke, leave it alone. You're more likely to CAUSE a problem than to prevent one. There's a published maintenance schedule, and vacuum lines aren't on it.

My '83's vacuum lines have around 700Kmi on them. I'm rebuilding a '93, and reusing its factory vacuum lines, which have minor repairs. Most of them are in a vacuum harness that's fairly easy to remove from the engine as a unit.

The length & diameter of a vacuum line is not critical; what matters is that it connects the right things, doesn't leak, and flows enough air (is big enough). This shows all the ENGINE vacuum lines:

These are vacuum trees:

For the map of your truck's lines, refer to the VECI label on the hood (usually above the brake master cylinder):

There's a nearly-separate system for the HVAC:

You SHOULD inspect it for this common failure:

Old 09-09-2015, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW This is amazing information!!! Thank you so much!!! I will have some work to do this year for sure.

My "self honey do" list is getting huge!

Quick Reply: Vacuum lines replacements -- howto?