Pre-1997 Models

4x4 front lower spring retainer bolt ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 front lower spring retainer bolt ?

Not sure what the proper name is . I had to replace the spring/shock tower on the driver side . When trying to get the lower retainer loose for the spring the the stud/ bolt broke . The lower part of this bolt looks like it goes through the top of the wishbone arm . The top ( that has broken ) goes through the lower spring perch and has the spring retainer and nut on it .
The part that goes through the top of wishbone still has the hex and is solid . Can I grind the rust of the top of the hex and weld a 5/8 bolt on to hold the spring in place ? The spring perch also attaches to the stabilizer bar . If the pressure would be too much for welding a bolt , what is this broken stud called and how do I get the rest of it out of the top of the arm ?

Thank you

Old 09-08-2015, 11:53 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I strongly recommend that you NOT screw around with suspension/steering/braking components. Fix them RIGHT, or park the truck. Additionally; that particular fastener is probably the 2nd-highest-torqued one on the whole truck, so welding on it will probably make it unremovable. Either get a good replacement in a JY, or from a dealer. See #22 in this diagram:

It generally takes a GOOD socket, a REALLY-good breaker bar, AND a long cheater pipe to break that bolt, so don't plan on zipping it out with a cordless impact, or even a nice air impact. It takes some serious @$$.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve , Thank you . I was hoping you would reply to this one . You always seem to have the information I need .
I soaked it with pb blaster a couple of times tonight from the bottom . With heat do you think I can get it with 1/2 drive impact socket and a breaker bar ? I don't have 3/4 drive , but can probably borrow them . I have the impression this will be a break it loose the first time or cause more problems type of deal . Thank you again for your help !

Old 09-09-2015, 11:00 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You haven't posted any pics, so I can't guess what will or won't work. But even with pics, I'd still be guessing. All you can do is try. If one thing doesn't work, try something bigger. If it breaks off, either drill it out, or replace the axle beam. This & the NEXT several show some of that process:

Quick Reply: 4x4 front lower spring retainer bolt ?