Pre-1997 Models

4.9L starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.9L starting issues

Have a '92 F150 with the 4.9 in it. Thing ran champ for awhile, had a check engine light that I'm guessing is due to an exhaust leak (nobody around here has an OBD1 reader to check for sure). The other day it was raining and cold, I went to start the truck and had no luck. Seemed like maybe the distributor cap might've collected moisture, so I changed the cap, rotor, and plugs and wires while I was in there. The problem still persist. I can start the truck, but it takes a good 15 tries. Once it's running, giving it any throttle kills it right off. If I let it run for a minute or so, everything's alright from there.

I'm confused why this is happening, it's got spark, fuel, and air. Battery, alternator, and starter seem fine. I'm checking the timing tonight for the heck off it, although I'm a bit confused what this "spout" I'm supposed to disconnect is exactly. Am I on point with it possibly being a timing issue, or do you folks think it's something else? 75k on the truck, don't think it should be having too many issues at this point.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:05 PM
Possible Air Idle Control Valve

I had the same issue would start and idle roughly but would cut off until warm. Mine ended up being the air idle control valve, less then $100 for mine which was for a 90 model f150 with a 5.0 in it. The way I found out it was the valve is a buddy told me if you pump gas and hold to ground that it bypasses the valve. So if I would pump gas and hold to floor and start it would start up and run fine. You can clean these which I did, just remove which is 2 small bolts and then clean with carb cleaner an a wire brush on the inside of valve, probably has carbon build up in it. Mine lasted about 6 months after I cleaned before I had to replace. Hope this helps.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:40 PM
Change your fuel filter. Once you get it running get a can of 'Seafoam" and run it through the intake via the brake booster vaccum hose. This should clean most of your fuel and emission system components. If it still persist, take the truck to Autoclone or "O Really'" and have them check the fuel pressure. you may have crap in your fuel take that have clogged your intake fuel screens.

Quick Reply: 4.9L starting issues