Pre-1997 Models

1993 f150 strange whistling sound under light load acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 09:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 f150 strange whistling sound under light load acceleration

i have a '93 f150 with the 5.0 motor,

it makes a weird whistling sound during light acceleration under light load.

it doesn't happen when in neutral with no load, or under heavy load.

I think the best way to describe the sound is a high pitched train whistle, or a high pitched harmonica.

it is coming from the passenger side front, seems like it is probably from the engine compartment, but might be from underneath the cab.

i have seen a lot of posts about similar sounds with a lot of pretty far fetched ideas, i am really looking for someone who has dealt with this problem or a remarkably similar one, and found the cause.

it seems like it must be a vacuum leak, or an intake whistle, or another idea someone suggested to me is a bent or pinched transmission cooler hose.

the intake is stock, there is no CAI or anything like that.

Anyone know what this sound is?

Old 11-28-2012, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's only when you are accelerating, not when your driving at a constant speed right? I have the same year and engine and my truck makes a whistle noise when I accelerate. It quits whistling about 5 seconds after acceleration, and I have only heard it in when The truck is in first gear. I have a slight exhaust leak right where the manifolds connect with the pipes and I believe that's where the whistling is coming from. I'm not saying that's the issue with yours but its something to check for. It could be a vacuum leak or an air intake leak, I have heard of those two as being culprits for whistling sounds.

Quick Reply: 1993 f150 strange whistling sound under light load acceleration