Pre-1997 Models

Front End Work

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 03:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front End Work

Hello folks.

First time poster.

I'm in the process of gathering all the parts needed to do all the front end work on my 1993 Ford F-150 4x4.

I'm going to replace the ball joints and tie-rods. I've already purchased the ball joints and tie rods.

The u-joints all look good. So i don't think i'm going to be replacing those.

I recently came across a couple seals related to the axle. They are called Axle Shaft Seals. According to Autozone, there are different ones for the driver and passenger sides, which i thought was strange.

Also not sure if i should replace the camber bearings (bushings?) as well.

And also is there is anything else I should replace while I've gotten it all torn apart.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:27 AM
If you are wanting you replace stuff, just-in-case, I would also replace wheel bearings, axle-pivot bushings, and radius arm bushings (if needed). As for the Axle-shaft-bushings, I recall that they are different numbers, BUT check with NAPA or O'rielys. Get a sold opinion. I often correct "my" Auto zone as to what I need.

Doesn't sound like you are ready to change your chamber bushings (???) yourself, so let your wheel alignment shop do that for you. If you are ready to do it yourself, allow for enough adjustment on camber AND caster. It takes some playing, but you can get it to where it tracks straight with no tire wear (or other turning/tracking problems).

DOOOOO GET THE BALL JOINT PULLER/INSTALLER rental from Autozone! it makes life a lot easier! Also consider CASTER as a steering problem (if you have that)! Also, is it slack in the steering linkage, steering gear box, ect. that is giving you problems???

MY OPINION, if you have it torn down, take the proper time to paint it and make it look good!

Old 11-14-2012, 03:28 AM
I had really bad tire wear on my passenger side, so i took the truck into Les Schwab and had them look at it. They told me the ball joints were bad and only one of the tie rods. They also wanted to charge me like $700 for all the work.

So i bought all the parts I need including the other tie-rods...I figured i might as well replace them all while it's torn apart.

As far as the radius arm bushings, I replaced those when i had to replace the brackets.

I'm not sure about the camber bushings...the shop im gonna be working in has a hunter alignment machine and I have a buddy who knows how to work it. So i don't know if i should go head and do the camber bushings since i'll be that far into it. Even if i replace the camber bushings, I can get an alignment done for like $64 at a local shop. So im not sure if i should go head and do them or wait and see what happens.

I plan on getting a couple more opinions on part numbers for the axle shaft seals as well.

What exactly are the "axle-pivot bushings"?

I've been tossing the idea about the wheel bearings, especially because they are a pain to replace since you have to pull the hubs and rotors anyways. So since im already gonna be at that step. Trying to minimize the cost for sure. But again, i'm already gonna be that far in.

I will probably end up sandblasting the knuckles and painting them black once i get them pulled and cleaned up.

What about the hubs? Is there anything I should look for on them as far as wear goes?

Old 11-20-2012, 01:06 AM
So i will be tearing apart the truck this weekend. Just so I can make sure I have everything, this is what I've gathered from the other post.

Wheel Bearings
Axle-Pivot Bushings
Axle-Shaft Bushings
Camber Bushings

Anything else I may need?

Quick Reply: Front End Work