Pre-1997 Models

the great white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the great white smoke

finally got my exhaust on my 351, started it up and white smoke poured out both pipes. im running duals to the factory front (dual inlet, single outlet) cat,then a y into dual glasspacks, so, due to my temporary cat setup,either side could be at fault. idled great, sounded great, 60# oil pressure at idle, everything seems great, but the smoke.pulled all 8 plugs, look normal, no signs of burning coolant. no water in the oil. my next step is to pressure check the cooling system, and praying the head gaskets are good. then i remembered my son playing with the cat before i put it in. he was dumping oil, tranny fluid, and antifreeze on and in it. could some of that mess still be in the cat, causing the smoke?

Old 10-06-2012, 10:44 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Yep.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:59 PM
thanx, im praying thats all it is. there was so much smoke, the neighbors came over wanting john forces autograph.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:22 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
That crap can't be good for the cat - hope it doesn't cook and plug up on you. Are you planning on redoing the cat system, you say it's temporary?

Old 10-07-2012, 01:01 PM
originally, was just gonna take the cat off after state inspection. but the new plan calls for two universal aftermarket cats to replace it. they dont have a provision for the air tube though, so next question is, will that mess up the eec? will i have to eliminate the pump, tad and tab, etc?would just as soon keep the eec happy,otherwise, whats the point of having efi? also,(still researching this one), i'm not sure if my engine even had air to the cat, as it came from a f350 (higher weight rating, speed density, obd1 on a 96).
my understanding is a 3-way cat does the same job as the stock 2 cats, and dont require the air tube to them to do their job properly and cleanly. so,whats the proper thing to do with the air tube then, without making the eec mad? the more i research, the more confused i get.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:03 PM
pulled the cat off today,fired it up, and nooooo smoke! now trying to find a way to clean it out so i can use it until i get the new universal cats. i could just knock the guts out of it and run it, but then most of you guys will yell at me, and once my new ones are on id like to sell it to the scrspyard,wont be worth much if its gutted. doubt a pressure washer would clean all the atf (thats what i found it to be) out of it. honestly thought about putting it in a fire and burning it out, shouldnt hurt it, ill never get it as hot as they get when they clog. when i put the new ones on, i still need to know what i should do with the thermactor system.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:14 AM
If you have a smog pump, your OEM cat most likely used an air tube. Why not use an aftermarket high flow 3-way cat which also has an air tube?

Quick Reply: the great white smoke