Pre-1997 Models

Bolt Size ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bolt Size ? ?

Ref: 1991 4.9cyl Starter

I'm removing the bolt the Ground cable is under on my Starter, and of course it Breaks. ALL I wanted to do was clean it up in hopes the bad ground is my No Start issue, NOW THIS!

Well I drill and "try" using stud removers(no success) and Drill and it seems to go THRU the entire stud, for I feel it give on the back side, then of course bump into the motor case. ANYWAYS, my question, Any way of knowing for sure what Bolt Size I need? I Measured the little piece that I broke off, and any bolt at the auto store is a tad to little or tad to big. I bought BOth, but now I got them all to Long. Drilling through it seems to be just 1/2" at the most. SHORT little stud for sure.

The Head fit 1/2" perfect. Seems like 5/16 bolt maybe 18 thread. But the 5/16 are .30 on the caliper, mine is .33, big diff.
Thinking I'll have to buy a Tap set to rethread it, cuz I can't get the little bit left to screw out even with a nice craftsman ScrewOut piece. So I gotta keep drilling, which will eat the threads.

BOLT SIZE Anyone? Where to Find it?

Thanks

Last edited by RonWR; 07-22-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Or the block is the block is the block, and find another handy place to put your ground.

Adrianspeeder

Old 07-23-2012, 10:05 AM
True Enough, and I appreciate it. But I'm still left with a broken bolt to which size I'm unsure. Getting a Tap set to this hole is going to be ridiculously hard. Arrrgg..

Thanks

Old 07-23-2012, 12:57 PM
How much of the threaded portion of the bolt do you have?
You say the shank mics .330 but that may be deformation. A 5/16" bolt would mic .3125 and would normally have a 1/2" hex. Remember that a lot of stuff is Metric on newer engines; an M8 would mic .3150 and could have a head as large as .512 (13mm) or as small as .500 (12.7mm.) Nothing is going to have a .33" shank. If you have any of the threaded portion, beg, borrow or steal a thread pitch gage and see what you have. A 5/16" could be 18 TPI (UNC) or 24 TPI (UNF) an M8 will be 1.25 pitch which is just under 20 TPI

Old 07-23-2012, 09:23 PM
Thanks SR. No, the shank doesn't have enough to measure thread pitch. The 1 thread on the bottom appeared to be original thread. But I agree, there was no shank at the auto store with a .33".

I'll be honest, I've never tap'd anything before. And this Hole is in a very hard place. That typical set I see for sale is not going into that space. Ya think I can put it on a drill extension and turn it slow? The other concern is the bolts proper depth. It appears to be maybe 1/2" at the most. Sure seems short.
I'm thinking I'll goto a Junk Yard and see what they have. Maybe I can take on off there. Actually, if I can just remove the bolt clean, I'm GOOD! Heck with the starter, it can remain there with 1 bolt all I care.

OH, did I mention, the Lawn mower wouldn't start and the dryer stopped. I have been fortunate enough to know how to work on dryers, but this time I think it's time for replacement. As for the lawn mower, I felt like supporting the local small business owner and let some guy fix that. LOL!!

Quick Reply: Bolt Size ? ?