Pre-1997 Models

91 F-150, no spark problems.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 F-150, no spark problems.

I need more info on SPOUT plug, Problem solved!

Hi I sure hope you guys can offer some more insight, my 91 F150 super cab long bed 5.0 e4od is acting up again. I lost spark a week ago. I thought it was a fuel pressure problem but after replacing the filter and buying a pressure guage I was wrong, pressure at cranking speed is @ 40 psi and holds after I quit cranking. I then bought a new coils but no help. My truck will start cold and run at lower than usual for a few minutes then the tach dies with the motor. After a couple attempts it wont even try to start. can any one tell me what the Spout plug or connection is? I disconnected a small ( maybe a 1/2 by 3/4 inch) module from the tfi harness by the distributer and now it will not only start but I was able to drive it to my driveway and garage. Was this the spout thing and what more can you tell me about probable problems I may have, Codes are not showing any problems with the ignition circuit, it did show a egr fault but I found a split vacuum hose there. Thanks-
Mugsy.
Well I removed the distributer and the ign module, after four auto parts stores I finally found one that had the proper adapter and got the tfi tested, shows fine. can any one help
OK fixed and heres the reason why, I figured it out. The OBD1 distributer mounted TFI trucks work like this, The ECU or computer doesn't effect the starting of the motor, the TFI does that, however once the engine is running and the ECU receives and process the inputs it takes over the ignition timing by controlling the coil ground. So if your truck trys to start and like mine will but only for a few seconds cold, none hot try removing the "SPROUT" plug on the distributer lead, if it runs ok and will continue running it may be the ECU not working properly! However be sure you have battery voltage to the coil before you replace the ECU.
I hope this helps some one, I got the ford manuals and went to school this week!
Mugsy

Last edited by Mugsy; 07-10-2012 at 12:04 PM. Reason: update
Old 07-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last post on this problem, I found the truck runs as good as it did before, however my E4OD tranny shifts much better! Worth every penny I paid advanced auto parts!

Quick Reply: 91 F-150, no spark problems.