Pre-1997 Models

87 F150 engine F.I. problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 F150 engine F.I. problems

I have an 87 F150 Lariat XLT with the 5.0 motor. I love this truck to death outside of the small electrical issues that I have, it still rides great and hauls better than my brothers 74 Cheverolet.

Anyways now to the real issue. I bought this truck about 4 months ago. My friend told me that he had just rebuilt the motor and it only had like 500 miles on the rebuild (awesomeness) but he was having some sort of trouble with the fuel system. If it's running for more that roughly 15 or 20 minutes then it floods out the enging and shuts down. We established that it was a bad ECU/ECM, so we went to the junkyard and found another. Appearently a lot of people have this problem because there were only like 3 of the left, out of the 40 Ford v8 cars that I looked in. I grabbed one that said factory reconditioned, and this solved the problem, until last week. Me and my bro went fishing and drove my truck to Oak Mountain State Park, on the way out my truck suddenly did the same thing all over again.

I have another ECU/ECM ordered, but I'm wondering is there anyone else out there having this problem from these trucks? Or is there just something wrong with my electrical system that could be making this parts bad. Because for this to happen to 2 ECU's is a little strange, but I don't know if this is just a common problem though.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Do a fuel pressure test at the rail. Sounds like a pooched fuel pressure regulator or hanging injectors. See how long pressure holds after the engine is shut off.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:02 PM
ok, thanks.

Quick Reply: 87 F150 engine F.I. problems