Pre-1997 Models

Just developed a leak,

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just developed a leak,

in the radiator where the top tranny line goes into it.My question is ,where the line goes into it(the plastic side tank)there is a speed nut, is there a washer or an O-ring under the nut? Its a 96 with a 302 auto, thanks in advance.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Just replaced my radiator a couple of weeks ago. I also have a 5.0w/auto but it's an 88. I had neither a washer or o-ring. Just an adaptor which I used teflon tape on. Nothing is leaking on mine.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:47 PM
I think it's just flared tubing & nut. You can remove to inspect, just drips a little w/o engine off. Sometimes the flare or nut cracks. The plactic side tanks leave alot to be desired. I recently replaced my radiator w/ all aluminum for $180. plus installation elbow grease.

Last edited by ymeski; 02-09-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:52 AM
Anybody got a break down (pics) of whats behind the speed nut? And has anyone tried to drop an egg in the radiator to stop leaks,son told me of this ,never heard that b4.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Dynacologist
Anybody got a break down (pics) of whats behind the speed nut? And has anyone tried to drop an egg in the radiator to stop leaks,son told me of this ,never heard that b4.
I prefer mine over-easy w/ the whites done. You talkin Egg drop soup! Are you leaking Tranny fluid or Coolant?

Old 02-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Are you talking about the flare nut? My truck uses speed nuts for mounting the shroud to the top of the radiator.
The transmission lines are steel, they screw into a steel reducer, and that screws into the brass fitting in the radiator tank on mine. No washers, no o-rings. I used teflon tape for a drip free fit.
I've heard of lots of "shade tree" fixes for radiators but my opinion is anything that can plug a hole can plug a passage.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:13 PM
He said he heard it on myth busters, the tanks on the radiator are plastic and yes the steel lines go into a fitting but the fitting is attached to the box by a speed nut.Something has to seal the water in and yes its a water leak.Will let you guys know ow the egg works so far so good.Got it up to temp and dropped it in and put the cap back on and let it run for 1/2 hour.Only draw back is it smells like breakfast all day long.

Trending Topics

Old 02-16-2010, 07:48 PM
Make sure to use the white of the egg only. That is what stops small leaks, used it on a different vehicle till it was wrecked and it worked like a charm.

Quick Reply: Just developed a leak,