Pre-1997 Models

Smog Pump Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smog Pump Pulley

I've been hearing some noises from the smog pump area of the motor so I wanted to temporarily run the engine without the pump and see if it was the culprit. I can't bypass it because the shorter belt still makes contact on the outside of the smog pump pulley, so I tried to get the pulley off but had no luck.

I took the three retaining bolts off of the pulley but it wouldn't come off. There appears to be something in the center of the pulley but I'm not sure what it is. Is there any way off getting the pulley off? Or would I be better served to take the pump out and take it to the shop?

I did notice that, with the belt off, the pulley turns by hand but it's noticably harder than the others.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:07 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
The pump needs to be replaced, or if you don't have emission inspection, removed and lines capped.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:28 AM
I was afraid of that. Thanks.

For PA inspection I have to have the pump on the truck. My mechanic said he would let it pass if I bypassed it by taking the pulley off, but he won't pass me if it's not there at all.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Just get a new SMOG pump. They arent that expensive and the truck was meant to run correctly with it installed and working properly.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by GTRider245
Just get a new SMOG pump. They arent that expensive and the truck was meant to run correctly with it installed and working properly.
I have seen a smog pump taken apart and gutted and put back on the engine so the next person could replace with a factory belt size.
huh did i say that

Quick Reply: Smog Pump Pulley