Pre-1997 Models

rear differential problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink rear differential problems

ok, i've replaced my u-joints 2 times in the past year and I think i know why. my rear differential is leaking a bit and the bracket that attaches to the rear u-joint, that attaches to drive shaft is loose. i can wiggle it around a bit and it will turn anywhere from 1/16-1/8 of a turn with the truck in neutral.
any ideas? are my gears bad? can I replace them?

oh, and i've looked at other posts and people have complained about shuddering in turns and in acceleration. mine will shudder a bit when i put in the clutch around 70 and slow down, its not bad but you can feel it. and when i do coast to a stop, if my window is down i can hear a clicking/rattle that is coming from the rear.

thanks in advance!

Old 07-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I deleted your other thread. That type of cross posting is not allowed. Sorry.

On your truck, has it been lowered in the rear, maybe with shackles? Just wondering if the pinion angle was not reset.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Click my black Bronco in my sig & read the captions in the 8.8" Axle album. I think you're talking about the "yoke" on the rear diff. It might be loose because the pinion nut is known to back off (does it wiggle sideways or up-&-down), or you might be descrbing normal pinion backlash for a high-mileage axle (rotation ONLY).

Neither will cause U-joints to go bad. That's usually because of poor installation technique.

If the pinion gear is loose, the axle will have to be rebuilt or replaced. I'd look for a good used one with the same ratio from any '87-96 F150/Bronco & just swap it in.

Quick Reply: rear differential problems