Pre-1997 Models

Update on the 95 Modular 4.6 swap.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 10:50 PM
PJF
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update on the 95 Modular 4.6 swap.

Hey everyone!

Thought I would give a bit of a progress report as to where things stand right now for those that are interested.

My truck is now legal and registered. It has yet to pass a state inspection but that is only because I haven't bothered to go to an inspection station yet and get it done, but it WILL pass.

I have been driving this thing everywhere and it is AWESOME! It rides great, has tons of power, looks simply fantastic, and well, it's just a lot of fun!

The MegaSquirt has turned out to be an amazing piece of equipment. I have got the tune to a point where the truck runs and drives as good/better than if it was stock. I am going to the dyno sometime in the next month so I will report back with what she lays down for WHP.

The Flowmaster 40 series sounds amazing but is pretty loud in the cab. I just bought a catalytic converter to make sure I comply with state laws when I do go to get this thing inspected. I am pretty sure it will quiet it down a bit. I am also going to move the muffler further towards the rear of the truck. If it is still too loud then I am going back to the original very quiet turbo muffler that is gathering dust in a corner of my garage.

The lowering kit is still boxed up awaiting installation, I have been having too much driving this thing to take it apart again! But soon I am going to put it in, she's gonna look even tougher lowered!

Attached is a pic of the old girl I took the other day after doing some Spring cleaning. I think she looks tough. Everywhere I go I get lots of looks and that exhaust turns heads from 1/4 mile away! This thing is LOUD! But dang does she sound sweet! Underpasses are a great treat for me, roll down the windows, downshift, and floor it! It sounds bad a$$ on those occasions when I am under an overpass. So I can only imagine how it sounds to those out on the streets as I drive by.

Freeway droning or around town cruising this thing rocks, no overheating, no misfires or stumbles, no vibrations, rattles, knocking, sputtering, etc. It just plain works and is tons of fun. I feel pretty darn good about the whole project now. Who knew it was only going to take 3 years to get to this point!

That's all for now, more to come when I get to the dyno in the next few weeks.

Sitting pretty:

Here is a vid taken back in February. Look at all that snow! I think she sounds pretty darn good personally.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wish my truck sounded like that! Sounds awesome!!

Old 04-11-2009, 10:29 PM
glad to hear your truck is everything you want it to be and more. Your project is one of my favorite on the site. keep the updates coming, I really want to know what power you are making and definitely add the cat, it will quiet it down quite a bit. Good luck with everything!

Old 04-18-2009, 05:02 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
how is the power without the turbo????

Old 04-18-2009, 09:34 PM
PJF
Originally Posted by tarajerame
how is the power without the turbo????
Power delivery naturally aspirated is more than adequate. It breaks the tires loose easily in first gear and will chirp them going into second without even trying. Due to wheel hop issues I shy away from spinning the tires. However, I am nearing the end of my third tank of gas since I got her registered and I am now wishing for more power. She will stay naturally aspirated for this year but next winter the turbo is definitely going back on.

Right now I am fighting an issue with spark knock at times when it should definitely should not be spark knocking. So I have been working on the ignition advance table and then going for test drives. I have got almost all of it worked out but I still get the occasional rattle when I am least expecting it. Also, my radiator seems to have sprung a small leak that I cannot find. After a long drive of say an hour or more there will be a small puddle of anti-freeze on the radiator crossmember. I never smell it, never can find it leaking or steaming, and yet that little bit will always accumulate down there. It is driving me nuts! I don't want to buy a new radiator but it looks like that is where I am heading.

The rear end gears are all wrong as well. I don't know what is in there right now but on the highway at 70 MPH she is only turning 1700 RPM in 5th gear. That is way below the rev range where the engine is making good power so she struggles if there is a sudden need to pass or climb a hill. I think I am going to put 3.73's in. That should wake the motor up quite a bit both around town and on the interstate.

I got around to putting the cat on yesterday. It quieted the drone down a little bit in the cab, but it made the exhaust note WAY quieter outside. It still sounds nice but not nearly as mean as before. I am thinking that after I get the inspection sticker I am going to pull the cat off. She just sounded way too mean before! Here is a short driving video from today showing how she sounds. Like I said, it still sounds good, but not nearly AS good as before.

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...catexhaust.flv

Last edited by PJF; 04-18-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:39 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Awesome!!! Cept fer that fram filter.... heh heh

Adrianspeeder

Old 04-23-2009, 08:40 PM
PJF
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
Awesome!!! Cept fer that fram filter.... heh heh

Adrianspeeder
HAHA! We are just gonna have to disagree on that front my friend!

On a sidenote, I have a deployment scheduled to go to the sandbox early next year. If you happen to be over there maybe we can hook up. That would cool!

Let's keep 'em flying brother!

Quick Reply: Update on the 95 Modular 4.6 swap.