Pre-1997 Models

93 F150 4.9 2WD recomendations please

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2000, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 93 F150 4.9 2WD recomendations please

Hello All,
Newbie here, and I would greatly appreciate any guidance and recommendations you all may be able to provide.
I would like to improve the performance of my 93 F150 4.9 2WD AOD truck. 81K miles. Great shape but mileage isn't the best.
I have just started looking into the endless array of products available to improve performance, and I hoped I could get a few recommendations and opinions.
I'm not looking make a hot rod, I just want to try and improve my MPG's.
I looked at the K&N air filters and the K&N F/I performance KIT.
question 1: the filter alone is about $40 and the KIT $180. Is the Kit really worth the additional $140.00 for my situation ? (just want to improve MPG's)
question 2: I am also thinking about a muffler or exhaust system. Many to choose from. Any recommendations ? I dont care about something that's flashy, just want something that works good and last a long time ?
question 3: I will be pulling my boat a couple times a year now. Weight is approx 4000 lbs. Dont know the tongue weight but guess it to be around 500 to 600 lbs. I pulled it last year 2 times, (100 miles) and the truck did ok, but I dont want to push my luck. I'm thinking about "ADD A LEAF" springs or air shocks. Any thoughts / comments on these options ?
Thank you all for any advice.
Dennis,

Old 03-12-2000, 10:57 AM
Mileage is just one of the things that aftermarket mods do. The FIPK probably helps best, I have heard of it increasing mpg's by around 4 or so. An exhuast also helps, but not sure of the increases it makes. The next thing would be the superchip. Although you have to run 92 octane, it should increase your mpg's by 1-5.

Old 03-13-2000, 10:49 AM
Hey Jetmech,

If you don't find the cost difference prohibitive, go ahead with the fipk. It gives a slight increase in power (I seem to notice it more at high speed than low, it revs easier) sounds better and gets 1-2 mpg better. If you just go with the filter, you would probably want to do some kind of air-box mod, just search the boards and you can find all kinds of information. These will help you with towing and help a little in keeping the engine cool.

Be careful when choosing an exhaust, especially since you are towing. If you free it up too much, you will lose low end. I've read that the Gibson swept side is good for towing, but I recomend doing some research before you buy, some people get decent results from just replacing the muffler.

The 300 is a good engine. Powerful and reliable but by no means fast, (well, faster than some 4-banger sedan) it produces gobs of torque at very low rpm's and will last a lifetime if well taken care of. The towing weight should be within acceptable limits and you should probably just make sure that the suspension components are in good shape.

Quick Reply: 93 F150 4.9 2WD recomendations please